Help finding one-month accomodation in Santo Domingo

emena

Oct 31, 2010
Hi,

This is my first time posting here, though I did look through some of the threads that seemed related to this topic and found some useful information. This will also be my first time going to the Dominican Republic. I'm a poet and translator and I'm going to do some research on Dominican contemporary poetry (and literature). I have a small grant from my University, but not very much and I need to make it last. I plan on staying for a month, from January 8 - February 9 (I'm coming from Puerto Rico after Three Kings Day with my family there).

Since I'm traveling with family, we're looking for a 2 bedroom apartment or apart-hotel for the month that is furnished and in a good, centrally located neighborhood. I've been told that Naco and Gazcue are where we want to be, though I don't know at all - I'm just learning. We will not have a car, so will be relying on walking, trains and buses. I have about $700 I can spend on housing.

I suspect it would be easier if I were there to arrange something in person, but since that's not an option for me (teaching schedule) I'm hoping for some advice and help. My Spanish is ok, probably good enough to make phone calls if I knew who to call, and good enough to write emails and read information online. I've looked at a few websites that list apartments for rent, but most of the ones I've contacted aren't willing to do short-term rentals. I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Look at the short term rentals on this site, from experience I know some drop the price considerably once contacted.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i have an apt listed on this website that i rent short term. it costs me 700$ for monthly maintainence, cable, phone, internet, cooking gas, etc. replacing sheets, towels, cigarette burn in sofa not included. you're looking at 24$ a night for a family, possible, but hard to find, even in appalachia.........for a single guy it would be easier.............