killing humpback whales

vlokje

May 13, 2004
Friday the 5 th of november there is a protest against the killing of humpback whales in front of the embassy of Japan and Danmark (Greenland is allowed to kill 9 a year for the next three years).This will be in Santo Domingo and there will be Free transport to and from Santo Domingo.Please help us protect our whales and join us on Friday.For more information call 809 6660306.

gfractal1

May 9, 2003
if you can't stop it outright then get as many cameras and recorders as you can at the actual capture and slaughter. get in contact with greenpeace and the world wildlife fund. david suzuki, pam anderson etc etc. the more eyes the better. news organizations... but get as much footage as possible and post it everywhere.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I don't get it....

Please explain - they are just fish, right? Ok, big fish, but still just fish.

Are Humpbacks an endangered spieces?
If not, they're just a fish and we use their oil, etc. I don't see the big deal.

And before you go all U.S. Postal on me, I grew up watcing Flipper. And he was almost half human.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
its a mammal

Correct - I was just keeping it simple

if you can't stop it outright then get as many cameras and recorders as you can at the actual capture and slaughter. get in contact with greenpeace and the world wildlife fund. david suzuki, pam anderson etc etc

How about Sharks? Ok to eat them? Yes? Why, cause they're mean to us?

How about tuna? They get pretty big! Should we not eat them?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
ctrob; said:
If not, they're just a fish and we use their oil, etc. I don't see the big deal.

human.

It is mentality like that that puts species on the endangered list. They were lifted from the endangered list after being considered endangered for quite some years, many related species species still are, I think the fear is that human nature does it thing and will push these beasts back to the brink, we have a habit of doing this with anything and everything we get our hands on.
Personally I don't think a few Wales for 'research' purposes is a big deal, but these hunters have a habit of taking more than legally accepted, and it is probably the most barbaric kill we allow to be carried out on any species.
I don't like the words, 'it is just' anything, everything has its place, but you are right about these not being a concern of extinction for the time being.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Correct - I was just keeping it simple

How about Sharks? Ok to eat them? Yes? Why, cause they're mean to us?

How about tuna? They get pretty big! Should we not eat them?

Well no, sharks are going to be next, the larger species are already suffering greatly, numbers have apparently dropped overall dramatically of recent years due to tuna netting, and long lining for finning purposes. We only learn to try to conserve something once we have vitually destroyed it, our forests, oceans, animals, it's always the same story, almost as if we are not the superior beings of this planet, we appear to care least about it or who or what we share it with.

Please explain - they are just fish, right? Ok, big fish, but still just fish.

And before you go all U.S. Postal on me, I grew up watcing Flipper. And he was almost half human.

They are no longer endangered and the hunting of them is regulated so relax and go home and watch whale wars on the discovery channel. I cant wait to see an episode when those pirates get run down by a whaler and all drown.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It is mentality like that that puts species on the endangered list. They were lifted from the endangered list after being considered endangered for quite some years, many related species species still are, I think the fear is that human nature does it thing and will push these beasts back to the brink, we have a habit of doing this with anything and everything we get our hands on.
Personally I don't think a few Wales for 'research' purposes is a big deal, but these hunters have a habit of taking more than legally accepted, and it is probably the most barbaric kill we allow to be carried out on any species.
I don't like the words, 'it is just' anything, everything has its place, but you are right about these not being a concern of extinction for the time being.

Hardy Jones: Greenland Begins Humpback Whale Hunt

The big problem with these permits is that they are given as an exception to the ban on commercial whaling (which almost wiped the species from the planet) as a consideration to the aboriginal Inuit peoples of the region. These people have existed and subsisted on whaling for thousands of years, using every part of the whale. These are not permits for "commercial" fishermen.

The problem is that the Inuit are finding external markets and using them and the practice of poaching as a relief from their poverty after all who wants to drive a dog sled when you can have a new New Yamaha Fx Nytro Mtx Se 153 with a heated bench, MP3 stereo and hand warmer plug-ins?

The Inuit are becoming just as diluted and corrupted as the rest of us. Blame Dish Network.

Reactions: Africaida
May 29, 2006
They are no longer endangered and the hunting of them is regulated so relax and go home and watch whale wars on the discovery channel. I cant wait to see an episode when those pirates get run down by a whaler and all drown.

Sadly, that is exactly what that fat walrus of a captain wants. You don't see him out in the speed boats. I poked a bit finding out about the humpback whales and the Danes are willing to reduce the number of other whales they kill in order to kill the 10 humpbacks.

This is happening in Greenland and my bet is the whales are being hunted for eskimo folk, not for Japanese restaurants. While I have some sympathy for whaling due to its past, I also think indigenous values should be respected, including for the people on the Faroe Islands, who have annual whale harvests of Minke whales in the hundreds.

Whales are quickly becoming toxic to eat in any case because they are long- lived top predators. The build up of mercury and other poisons are making them something that can only be eaten once a year or so and not at all by pregnant women.

I don't see it as a DR issue unless they start hunting the whales off the DR coast.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
While I have some sympathy for whaling due to its past, I also think indigenous values should be respected, including for the people on the Faroe Islands, who have annual whale harvests of Minke whales in the hundreds.

I don't see it as a DR issue unless they start hunting the whales off the DR coast.

I agree 100% with what us above. Only I have little trust in human motives for anything when it comes to financial gain using other living 'wild' beings. But hey, protests make little difference in case like these so no point in bothering.
The only people that gain from these followers of these indirect charity events and funding events are those reaping a life from it, like most charity organisations these days, at least 70% of the income goes on salary and fraudulent upkeep of face. Men in boats, the voices of cancer charities, animal welfare advertising if you look deep enough into these organisations you can see where the cash goes, you probably wouldn't support a large organisation ever again.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
I can assure you that Paul Watson and his Sea Shepherd Conservation Society do not profit from donations other than funding their vessels. They do not derive any income. If you're concerned about the slaughter of whales you can find no better charity. Those people try to disrupt whaling all over the world. Paul's been doing this since the 70s after he was booted out of Greenpeace for being a radical. Paul was one of the founders of Greenpeace.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
As to the right to hunt whales by indigenous people. Washington state gave the green light to a tribe on the Olympic Peninsula. They went out and slaughtered a whale with a FIFTY CAL machine gun and left the carcass to rot on the beach. Nobody knew what to do with the poor thing!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I can assure you that Paul Watson and his Sea Shepherd Conservation Society do not profit from donations other than funding their vessels. They do not derive any income. If you're concerned about the slaughter of whales you can find no better charity. Those people try to disrupt whaling all over the world. Paul's been doing this since the 70s after he was booted out of Greenpeace for being a radical. Paul was one of the founders of Greenpeace.

I haven't directed it at anyone in particular, you will notice that! But for mentioning this guy on sea shepherd, I am not sure it is still called that or if it is I have read about him on other vessels also.
He has a free life, for doing very little to help the movement, nuff said.
I am for all the conservation of all animals that deserve consideration. What I find sickening is how they manage to blind people like you into thinking they are not profiting from it, for sure they are. I don't see him giving his money from books, appearances, lectures, etc etc etc to the fund, no, slips nicely into his bank account along with about 25% of the income of the fund taller off as expenses. For what, international flights, months on end in hotels. Everything is free to these people.
You're fooled, I won't win this over you, but I've been close to these organisations and they are not out there out of the goodness of thief hearts alone.
Tis reality pal.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
I haven't directed it at anyone in particular, you will notice that! But for mentioning this guy on sea shepherd, I am not sure it is still called that or if it is I have read about him on other vessels also.
He has a free life, for doing very little to help the movement, nuff said.
I am for all the conservation of all animals that deserve consideration. What I find sickening is how they manage to blind people like you into thinking they are not profiting from it, for sure they are. I don't see him giving his money from books, appearances, lectures, etc etc etc to the fund, no, slips nicely into his bank account along with about 25% of the income of the fund taller off as expenses. For what, international flights, months on end in hotels. Everything is free to these people.
You're fooled, I won't win this over you, but I've been close to these organisations and they are not out there out of the goodness of thief hearts alone.
Tis reality pal.
Wow.......another perfect example of a DR1 member not having the remotest clue of the subject on hand.
My family has been involved in the fishing industry in the Pacific Northwest for years.
We know Paul Watson very well, as well as the SSCS, and salute his tireless efforts.
Thanks for your input.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Wow.......another perfect example of a DR1 member not having the remotest clue of the subject on hand.

We know Paul Watson very well, as well as the SSCS, and salute his tireless efforts.
Thanks for your input.

I can say exactly the same except I know of this gentleman very well. Don't make assumptions on what I may or may not know based on who you share Xmas dinner with. My family have worked very closely with considerable interest in certain 'non profit' organisations such as mentioned for many years, my father spending over 50 years involved in such whaling conservation efforts.
Thanks for input, appreciated!

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
I can say exactly the same except I know of this gentleman very well. Don't make assumptions on what I may or may not know based on who you share Xmas dinner with. My family have worked very closely with considerable interest in certain 'non profit' organisations such as mentioned for many years, my father spending over 50 years involved in such whaling conservation efforts.
Thanks for input, appreciated!
Yer full of shyte and you know it. I'll leave it at that.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Yer full of shyte and you know it. I'll leave it at that.

And a fine conversationalist you are, hahaha, that's conversationalist, not conservationist, as in sarcasm, figured you might not get that judging by your ignorance in debate.
Why I'm full of sh1te? Because you disagree, lol. Fine, I'm not into a 'my dads bigger than your dad' type argument here.
I'll settle for your blindness, most people are, or dont care, so your no biggy.
Happy fishing amigo:smoke:

May 29, 2006
Well no, sharks are going to be next, the larger species are already suffering greatly, numbers have apparently dropped overall dramatically of recent years due to tuna netting, and long lining for finning purposes. We only learn to try to conserve something once we have vitually destroyed it, our forests, oceans, animals, it's always the same story, almost as if we are not the superior beings of this planet, we appear to care least about it or who or what we share it with.

I'm far more concerned about sharks than whales under today's fishing laws. The practice of finning is having severe ecological impacts esp when hammerhead sharks are the target species. The hammerheads eat rays who eat mollusks who in turn eat algae off of coral. Fewer hammerheads means more rays which means fewer mollusks which means more algae-- and algae kills coral reefs. Sharks are often keystone predators and removing a few from system can have dramatic effects. But sharks are not as charismatic as whales.

The Sea Shepards are terrorists, plain and simple I was pretty content when their bat-mobile got crunched. The boat was crossing the bow of the whaling ship for days trying to foul their props and then the whaler rammed them. Boo hoo... If they want to fly a pirate flag, they should enjoy pirate justice.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It is mentality like that that puts species on the endangered list. They were lifted from the endangered list after being considered endangered for quite some years, many related species species still are, .

But that's the whole point, they are not on the endangered list. So ok to hunt. And if there are limits, then those ignoring those laws can be made to answer for their disregard of the law.

Protests, ok. I don't have a problem with that. But when it leads to nonsense like the Sea Shepard it's out of control at that point. It is suprising that no ones been killed yet doing that. And I think the Japanese have been incredibly patient about the whole thing.

Hunting for whales is legal. And it's perfectly ok to make a profit from it. It takes investment of labor and equipment to bring that product to the market. They should be compensated. That's no different then the Dominican fisherman spending the morning off of Sosua Bay and bringing in fish to the different resturants. Same thing. Both legal. Both market driven. Just different size products.

What the Sea Shepard and that bunch does is illegal.