Searching for adeventure

Honda pan european

Nov 7, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum.
The reason for my visit and question is very simple. For 2011 I've reservated an airplane ticket to DR. The meaning of my visit is to explore the nort east coast by bicycle. Now I'm searchin for anyone who can tour me around in the DR or someone who knows local adresses wha can help me out with this.

For information, I'm an expiranced driver. At home I drive a new honda pan european (guess where my nick is comming from:cheeky:) In europe I've done almost all country, also a special tour in the Alps so now I wanted to try the caribian.

A guy at work was in the DR past summer and he likked it so much, I wanted to try it.

So if anyone on this forum can help me with some information or contacts to ake the most exclusive trip of my life (so far) please answer to my cal.

Berliner

Aug 9, 2007
I know there is a guy in Las Galeras, a former Triathlet, who does bicycle tours around Las Galeras and Samana. His name is Gerard and you can reach him at Bellaventura which is run by his wife.

dunroamin

Oct 12, 2010
Hi
My wife and I have cycled extensively in Dom Rep. The cycling is excellent This time of year is not so hot but can be very wet.
If you are flying in to POP you simply head North. Hard to avoid traffic until you get to the other side of Puerto Plata town but after Cofresi turn you take the turn to the Riu hotels and follow your nose.
The road follows the coast 2/3 km inland and takes you to Luperon, La Isabela, Punta Rucia, El Copey and on on to Monte Cristi Depending upon your pace it is 3 to 5 days to Monte Cristi.
You can either return inland through Manzanillo, Las Matas de Santa Cruz, Mao, Mamey, Imbert, Puerto Plata or find a bus [=guagua] which will take your bike on the roof
Places have small hotels. The area is populated so there are plenty of small shops [=colmados].
You can buy maps in Puero Plata.
As DR is so focussed upon the USA, you can get tubes/tyres for 26 inch wheels in many Colmados. There are good bicyles shops but mainly in the larger towns.

DR is fabulous for cycling Go for it

Reactions: AlterEgo

dunroamin

Oct 12, 2010
Hi
Forgot to add: The best adventure in DR by bicycle is the International Highway MonteCristi to Pedernales. You go over six mountain ranges, the highest pass is 2500 metres. It is a world class cycle ride. We have twice done the whole trip in one hit unsupported. Not recommended solo. You can do sections solo. Montecristi Dajabon Loma de Cabrera, Villa Anacaona is tar and wonderful landscape. Time your arrival for the market at Tiroli - the town in Haiti opposite Villa Anacaona

PM me if you want more information