One way or round trip???

K

Ken

My wife and I are moving to Santo Domingo. We are looking for the most inexpensive airfare. I have found a fair-priced one way flight--- but I wonder if the Dominican immigration will grant us entry without our return passage paid? As we plan to stay for at least a year- the airlines do not schedule that far ahead- Should I buy RT tickets and waste the return half? Thank you.

R

Ray Modesto

Ken,

Are you and your wife Americans? If so, the USA government will not allow you to leave the country with a way one ticket. So, in your case you have to purchase open tickets. Ask they airline, your travel professional for more details or e-mail me for more details.

Ray Modesto

D

DR One

To enter the DR, unless you are already legal residents of the DR, you will need a return flight. Suggest you compare what will be cheaper: bookingthe cheapest excursion flight and then not using the return, or an open ticket that would not expire when you wanted to use it at year's end.

T

Tom

Ray

You can leave the US with a one way, two way or no ticket at all. It's the country you are entering that requires proof of return.

How would you drive a personal auto across the Canadian or Mexican border without "Proof of return" if that were a requirement of the US Govt?

Tom

J

JD

Ray, I'm afraid Tom is right. In fact, some years ago I left the US with a one-way ticket to France. Then, 4 months later, I bought a one-way ticket back to the US from Europe. No problems either way. (Of course, I had a 4 month visa for France.)

K

Ken

Can I just buy a one way to Santo Domingo and another one way to Miami, and then just stay in SD. What about a Visa? With a tourist card can I stay in DR for two years?

J

Jessica

I bought a one way two weeks ago after talking to my travel agent. She opened her travel book and read the requirements for entering the Dominican Republic. It didn't say anything about a needing a return ticket. If they do make you buy one, buy one to San Juan, Puerto Rico, it's cheap and is proof of ongoing flight.

D

DR One

As Jessica advises below, buy a return to Puerto Rico. To enter the DR you will be required to purchase a tourist card for US$10 which allows a legal 90-day stay. After that "yes" you can stay in the DR, you will be an illegal alien, though. Unless you get into trouble, or pursue activities not well seen by Dominican society, it is unlikely the authorities will get on your case. You will have to pay a surcharge -- it is not much at the present time (less than US$40 per year), when you want to leave the country.

D

DR One

Up to a max of 90 days. Migration inspectors may stamp your visa with 60 days. Note most tourists come on two week packages.

L

Lyse

Why Is It written 60 days on the back of the tourist visa? I spend 3 months in the D.R. each year since 1991. At first they used to charge me about 35 pesos because I stayed more than 60 days but they did not charge me for the last 2 or 3 years. I thought It was because they hadn't noticed but from what you say now I think that they must have changed the law but not the tourist visa???