Current tile setting prices in SD or Santiago

May 8, 2009
Hello All,

Would someone by chance know the current going rate for tile setting in the capital or Santiago? I am looking for a per square meter price, both floor and wall, thanks-

CC

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
It is impossible to give you a price as it depends on the work, the surface, the complexity, the tile chosen...........

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
No it is not impossible. I owned a tiling, bathroom, kitchen fitting company in the UK. Tilers work to a standard m2 rate. My rate in UK was ?35 floors, ?30 Walls.
I have fitted a few bathrooms where I live in santo Domingo and my rate with gringos was $30 per m2. Walls and floors. The client buys the tile, I supply the latex, cement, edging and grout. If a tinted grout is required then the client buys that also.
I won't work for dominicans unless I get paid upfront, they really don't get the price of precision work.
If you have work then I would appreciate it, always looking for extra work.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
prices will vary depending also the amount of m2.
working in a small bathroom is sometimes more complex than working in a large 10x10m square room. In large areas prices goes from 300pesos m2. labor. you have to supply everything.
Do not use haitian or dominican without a high school level.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just asked a civil engineer who does a lot of this. In Santiago it is 120 DOP/m2 to 150 DOP/m2 for floors. For walls it is 250 DOP/m2 (+/_).

Just so you know. US$30 a meter is outrageous...or not if you put some of the materials.
The other prices are just the labor costs...nothing more...

HB

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I priced my work according to standards. I have very high standards. If you expect me to lay 8-9m2 of floor or wall tiles for 1000pesos then sorry, not gunna happen. If you want me to find someone else to do it and cream the cost then fine, I know guys who will work for that.
Like I said, I won't work for Dominicans unless paid upfront as they rarely see what goes into well thought out precision work, stick a tile down and move on, cut where ever without thought of matching up, levelling out correctly, using a correct ratio of a correct ad on a certain surface, tis all relevant to make a job last many years. So many absolutely terrible tiling jobs are on display everywhere around us, obviously done by 200peso m2 workers, he'll if I was getting paid that I couldn't give a toss what it looked like, if it cracked or lifted in the future either. I guess that is why I picked up those jobs after word of mouth and people inspecting my work first hand at friends homes. Knowing they can pay peanuts, and preferred to actually be sure of a good job.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It is also rude to call a mans workmanship rude when you know so little of what you are talking about to have to ask another, never seen the difference in work and by all counts have very little other than two separate prices to come to a conclusion from.
Do you tell a mich star chef his fish and chips are outragous because you can buy them from the corner chippy for a couple of quid?
Maybe you do?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I just asked a civil engineer who does a lot of this. In Santiago it is 120 DOP/m2 to 150 DOP/m2 for floors. For walls it is 250 DOP/m2 (+/_).

Just so you know. US$30 a meter is outrageous...or not if you put some of the materials.
The other prices are just the labor costs...nothing more...

HB

I just asked someone in the business here and he says 150 DOP /m2 for floors and walls.He also said smaller areas cost more as there is so much more cutting involved.

these are just the labor costs, all materials are in addition.

to insult all the people who do this work because they charge less then you is also insulting and rude.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I wish I'd never bothered offering my advice on this matter. I'm generalising and am allowed that, I have seen nothing other than trash many places as far as tiling and bathroom fitting in general goes, not all but more than enough for me to warrant my opinion on cheap jobs. I am aware a paying rate is low here and have justified my work as superior to most so I charge more. This isn't my JOB here, people get in touch with me to have me take my evenings, weekends, spare time to fit a job in.
Anyway I can see I'm rather expensive for most of you so shall withdraw my offer and advice.

20m2 for 3,000pesos, Some jobs thats 2+days work, lol, must be joking.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can agree with Anastacio regarding the workmanship. I have had good and pi$$poor work done on my house. Buckling floor tiles is wierd....

I usually bounce a golf ball on newly laid tiles, if it does not sound right I bitch and complain and make them do it over...

I can see where, with you putting in some of the materials your price, while much higher is backed by what I have to believe is superior workmanship...

HB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
IMO 250 - 300 RD$ sounds low to lay tiles and $30 too much. But if you do get that kind of money from setting tiles then good for you, its just that with this economy it sounds a bit high.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
i am in the tile business also and agree there is a big variance in price. i know things are different here in the US (most are masonry instead of wood framed) and the labor to waterproof/slope floors etc. may be less and of course the labor rates will be less. the size of the tile is a factor (it doesn't take many big'uns to make a dozen as they say) also whether there are niches, benches. intricate borders and openings that have to be cased out, windows to be waterproofed and trimmed out, on and on. floors should be a bit more if done on diagonal or if small rooms with many closets, doorways and such. i usually try to give a lower and upper figure and explain the difference and usually it falls between. the one wood house i stayed in in the DR (jarabacoa) the shower did leak onto the floor below so i don't know if the locals are unfamiliar with instaslling shower pans/boots or if the work was just shoddy. good luck on your project, ben

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
What rates are you charging in the US. You can see my UK rates ?30 Walls and ?35 floors (not dollars, and obviously with occasional variation on specifics). This is north of UK, down south you can almost double it in some areas.
As for tanking showers, wet rooms etc here, they e never even heard of it in most cases. No understanding on movement, flex ads, basically anything that would be expected to be known by a professional tradesman. I don't even think it is thought of as a specific trade here, just a jigsaw with slop a few tiles and I dry cutter.

Reactions: cobraboy

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
i charge $3 per square foot to lay tile straight on concrete with little leveling/prep, $3.50 for diagonal. if on wood with cement board underlayment an extra $1. full waterproofed showers (floors and corners, flex, etc) range from $700 up to $3,000. all guaranteed for life and have never had a call back other than cracked corners from houses settling. kitchen backsplashes from $150 to $700 (this one i had to clip corners on 6inch serpentine tiles and place 4 individual 5/8 inch glass tiles in) a royal pain. wall tiles(wainscoating and such) same as floors. new housing is at a virtual standstill here and i find myself doing hardwood floors, carpet, vinyl and things i hate just to make a buck, and whereas i used to employ 4 or 5 guys it is now me and a helper. maybe i should have stayed in school :)

Reactions: cobraboy