sky satellite

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
MINIMUM time limit to sign up 4 sky?

hi does anyone know what the minimun sign up is 4 sky ?Claro want 18 months :ermm:

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Sky also 18 months. Although they say all channels also broadcast in english, they don't. You will get fed up with offers, advertisements etc all only for Mexico even Sky themselves break into Sky DR programmes with offers "only for Mexico"! In the small print of the contract they say they put up the price for three months to cover "insurance"!! but this goes on for much longer. They will not accept anything but Dominican credit cards. I'm looking to change to Claro as soon as our 18 months are up.

flacco

Oct 14, 2010
lived in pop for 7 yrs
sky

When I signed up with Sky for 18 months, I gave the installer my Canadian credit card information and the next day Mastercard called me and asked if I knew anything about $900.00 charged at Marks and Spencer in London, Eng. Of course I didn't and had to cancel the card. It took about two months to get a new card. I also discovered that written in the contract ( in Spanish) was a fee for insurance which they put all on one bill. The programing is almost all in Spanish and the sports channels have soccer, soccer and more soccer. Go for Claro if you can or an nfusion system.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Claro

I think I'm right in saying that - Yes, Claro is 18 months and they will not allow you to temporarily suspend service during that period.

I have the same problem with Comcast in the US... no suspension.
FIOS allows suspension.

The real answer might be SlingBox but that calls for a strong , steady Internet connection

Any ideas?

WW

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When I signed up with Sky for 18 months, I gave the installer my Canadian credit card information and the next day Mastercard called me and asked if I knew anything about $900.00 charged at Marks and Spencer in London, Eng. Of course I didn't and had to cancel the card. It took about two months to get a new card. I also discovered that written in the contract ( in Spanish) was a fee for insurance which they put all on one bill. The programing is almost all in Spanish and the sports channels have soccer, soccer and more soccer. Go for Claro if you can or an nfusion system.

SKY is a ripoff company, I would avoid them. Not that Claro has the best reputation out there either. But Claro is the lesser of two evils.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I just got my (legal) dish network HD satellite system, works great and I wonder why I did not do this before instead of messing around with the pirate FTAs receivers and their inconsistency.

While the initial set up will be higher (two 5 foot dishes required), once you see TV in HD you will never want to go back. Monthly subscription for all channels including HD channels (except PPV adult and certain sports) is a little over $100 per month.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I just got my (legal) dish network HD satellite system, works great and I wonder why I did not do this before instead of messing around with the pirate FTAs receivers and their inconsistency.

While the initial set up will be higher (two 5 foot dishes required), once you see TV in HD you will never want to go back. Monthly subscription for all channels including HD channels (except PPV adult and certain sports) is a little over $100 per month.

Are you in the D.R.?
If so, who did your work for you here....If you don't mind me asking.

B in Santiago

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
This is a backup to Waytogo's request. I know two Dominican based people who can install etc but what I would like to know is which network are you writing of and how did you get a legal/official subscription? Thanks in advance Conchman.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net

Are you in the D.R.?
If so, who did your work for you here....If you don't mind me asking.

B in Santiago

I am in the Puerto Plata area.

My satellite guy's name is Leo, I will PM you the name.

He is/has a dealer that will 'host' a US address for your receiver and you pay your monthly subscription via credit card. Its about as 'legal' as you can get here, since technically nobody has the dishnetwork rights for the D. R.

Reactions: waytogo
Feb 7, 2007

For that price (US$100), I can get a receiver off ebay and a subscription for two receivers for the whole year with a private server. Not an HD, not without some glitches, but I hardly watch TV (no time for that) maybe 10 hours a week, and that is mostly from Hard Drive downloaded Divx series off the Net (no time to watch them in real time).. and more often than not I fall asleep watching it, so tired I am from the day. So for your monthly price I get a receiver and a service for the whole year. And I can live with some occasional downtime. I do not have big Plasma TV so SD is OK for me, no need for HD. But to each one of his liking.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I am in the Puerto Plata area.

My satellite guy's name is Leo, I will PM you the name.

He is/has a dealer that will 'host' a US address for your receiver and you pay your monthly subscription via credit card. Its about as 'legal' as you can get here, since technically nobody has the dishnetwork rights for the D. R.

Received your pm, thank you.
I already have the HD receiver and the hosting is set up in the states through my son's dish network subscription. I need the 6' dish(s) and paraphernalia set up.
I will give Leo a call, thanks again....

B in Santiago

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I agree, if you don't want HD, then my setup is a complete waste of money because you can get Sky or Claro or one of the private IKS server set ups which is probably what you are talking about. I am just tired of the constant glitches and waiting for my satellite guys to show up.

I dont recommend for anybody to go my route, unless they really want HD.

For that price (US$100), I can get a receiver off ebay and a subscription for two receivers for the whole year with a private server. Not an HD, not without some glitches, but I hardly watch TV (no time for that) maybe 10 hours a week, and that is mostly from Hard Drive downloaded Divx series off the Net (no time to watch them in real time).. and more often than not I fall asleep watching it, so tired I am from the day. So for your monthly price I get a receiver and a service for the whole year. And I can live with some occasional downtime. I do not have big Plasma TV so SD is OK for me, no need for HD. But to each one of his liking.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I agree, if you don't want HD, then my setup is a complete waste of money because you can get Sky or Claro or one of the private IKS server set ups which is probably what you are talking about. I am just tired of the constant glitches and waiting for my satellite guys to show up.

I dont recommend for anybody to go my route, unless they really want HD.

I have claro antenna on my house in El Limon,1500 pesos a month for many chanels,hbo,etc...and novela for the girls...has worked flawlessly....and 2 tvs by the way.You can program for english if you want,also.
bob

Feb 7, 2007
There is at least one private server offering almost all Dish HD channels, called "Tony's server". They charge about US$23 per month.

Feb 7, 2007
Nope they work via email but you can contact them via here
Private IKS Servers - ABA DSS - Free to Air Satellite TV Community
just ask for contact to the 23-dollars-a-month-server
I ***think*** the website is www.iksps.com

Beware there are some people that say the service sucks and some that swear by it. i am not a member of that particular private server so I cannot say. I use NFPS and I get all SD channels for $50 per year and I am 100% happy with it. now I can use my donation number for two receivers for the same price. You may want to read around the link above for more info on private servers.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
just a question... where do you go if you want to get a sky subscription on the north coast. If you move during the period of your contract (same area) is it possible to get them to move the installation and how much would that cost