Transfer from STI to Cofresi

turkeytraveler

Nov 17, 2010
We're arriving late evening (8:30 pm) the night before Thanksgiving at STI and need transportation to Lifestyles resort on Cofresi Beach. Will there be taxis standing by that time of night willing to make the hour-long drive one way, or must we book transportation in advance? There will be three of us (one child) and we're happy to share a ride. We'll need to return to Santiago the following Sunday AM. What fare should we expect, and will we need the local currency? Thanks for any guidance for us first-time DR visitors!

MrTee12

Apr 4, 2010
We're arriving late evening (8:30 pm) the night before Thanksgiving at STI and need transportation to Lifestyles resort on Cofresi Beach. Will there be taxis standing by that time of night willing to make the hour-long drive one way, or must we book transportation in advance? There will be three of us (one child) and we're happy to share a ride. We'll need to return to Santiago the following Sunday AM. What fare should we expect, and will we need the local currency? Thanks for any guidance for us first-time DR visitors!

I flew into STI August of 2009 and traveled to the same resort area (formerly Sun Village) which has now expanded to become Hacienda Lifestyles. I believe I paid $60 which is currently around 2200RD pesos. The ride was about an hour, not smooth considering the bumpy dark roads, but the driver was excellent so I tipped well. Don't feel like you have to take the first offer from a taxi driver, another guy wanted $100US (close to 3700RD pesos).

Have fun at Hacienda Lifestyles...VIP Beach is great (includes free Wi-Fi).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Get in touch with "Bachata" on these boards. He used to provide this service and can hook you up with a good, reliable driver for this purpose. Fees are currently about $80 for that nighttime drive at that hour, and could be more. He will know for pretty sure.

HB

Reactions: Bronxboy

turkeytraveler

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks so much, MrTee12. I'm relieved to know the time of arrival isn't really a problem for the transfer, and that we can (should) even negotiate it. And thanks also for the peso/$ conversion info. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving, too!

turkeytraveler

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks, Hillbilly! I've sent a message to Bachata for more info. But should we not hook up for some reason, it's most helpful to know the going rate, esp. if I couldn't find the posted rates in the airport. We're looking forward to our stay and I thank you again for your helpful response!