Route sto domingo - las galeras

GabyB

Nov 26, 2010
We are arriving at 6:00pm to Sto Domingo and we would like to know the best way to reach Las Galeras. Taxi? Car rental? Maybe someone can tell me if the route is safe or not to travel during the night with children. Thanks!

Reactions: waytogo

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
We are arriving at 6:00pm to Sto Domingo and we would like to know the best way to reach Las Galeras. Taxi? Car rental? Maybe someone can tell me if the route is safe or not to travel during the night with children. Thanks!

Most forum members will caution you very much against driving at night in the DR, and that is particularly so if you have never driven in the DR before. A taxi is very costly. The new highway from Santo Domingo to Samana is a very nice drive, however, the route from Samana to Las Galaras can be difficult, and again, I would suggest not driving either at night. Do an overnight in Santo Domingo and leave in the morning; better yet, if you have a day, spend some time checking out the capitol and the historic colonial zone.

ratbastard

May 15, 2010

I have made this trip many times. If you have done the trip before then it is easily done in comfort and safety when leaving at 6pm, if not then perhaps it is better to get a room and set out early the next morning. Or get a taxi. But the trip is well worth seeing in daylight hours. Have fun!

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004

if you stay overnight in Santo Domingo,there is a guagua bus to las galeras around 8.00 am or so,not too shure...but you can call this number 809-687-1470,costs about 350 pesos per.Bus is airconditioned and safe...

bob

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
going at night would be faster
but the things you would miss staying over would be a loss

the next day bright and clear you will see wonders that you would have missed in the dark....don't cheat yourselves of the pleasure :)
besides it's a vacation....take the time to enjoy :)

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
if you stay overnight in Santo Domingo,there is a guagua bus to las galeras around 8.00 am or so,not too shure...but you can call this number 809-687-1470,costs about 350 pesos per.Bus is airconditioned and safe...

The guagua is the most adventurous way to travel and will really give you and your kids a slice of Dominican life. It is my favorite way to travel from SD to Samana penninsula. But if you are traveling with young children, I suggest taking the Caribe Tour bus that uses the new highway to Samana and then, either taking the guagua or a taxi, the short distance from there to LG. The Caribe Tour bus is comfortable and has a restroom, the guagua doesn't. Buddle up, the a/c is serous!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Most forum members will caution you very much against driving at night in the DR, and that is particularly so if you have never driven in the DR before. A taxi is very costly. The new highway from Santo Domingo to Samana is a very nice drive, however, the route from Samana to Las Galaras can be difficult, and again, I would suggest not driving either at night. Do an overnight in Santo Domingo and leave in the morning; better yet, if you have a day, spend some time checking out the capitol and the historic colonial zone.

I would agree with this post

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
SD to Las Galeras

Let me make this perfectly clear. No way in hell should you attempt to drive this at night. I have been driving for many years in the DR and it is not a fun experience driving at night here. After a long day of travel you will not want to do this. You should do the following. It will cheaper in the long run. There is a
Quality Inn about 10 minutes heading the from the Airport back to the new highway to El Catey. Stay there overnight. As other people have told you the new highway is a breeze. The problem will be when you come off the highway onto secondary roads. Some of the roadway is good but some is terrible. In addition parts are not well lit and there are motor bikes, people, dogs and other hazards in the road. The road from Samana to Las Galleras is torn up in parts due to construction. From SD to LG will take you a good 3 1/2 hours during the day. Take your time an enjoy it. It is a beautiful ride. If you rent a car make sure you get a the very least a small SUV, such as, a Chevy Tracker, or Susuki Grand Vitari you will need it especially on the roads in and around Las Galeras.
If you do plan on renting a vehicle make plans in advance. Do not wait until you get to the airport otherwise you will not get the best price. Also many rental agencies will meet you at the airport with the car so you don't need to restrict yourself to airport rentals. One I have used successfully is C& C Service Car Rental @809-549-1771. Buenos Suarte'

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Hotel Along the Way?

I will be arriving at SDQ in the early afternoon and then I want to head to Las Galeras. Since I will not have enough daylight to do the whole trip while it is still light out I thought I may try to do 1/2 the first day and then try to get a room somewhere and finish the trip in the morning. Can anyone tell me if there is a decent hotel somewhere along the way? In Monte Plata or Sanchez? I would just need a secure place to lay my head and park my car. I have taken the trip before and it was a nice ride. I do remember seeing some signs along the way but I do not recall any roadside or nearby hotels. The last time I stayed overnight in a cabana in San Isidro and got on the highway in the morning. It was a memorable way to start the trip.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
If your arriving early afternoon you should have time to at least get to Las Terrenas (2 hrs) or Samana (2.5 hrs) itself. I think there is very little in Sanchez hotel wise & nothing in Monte Plata that I know but MP is less than an hour from SDQ. Enjoy your trip and let us know what you find along the way. lt

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
Note on the new highway...

Several posts reference the new highway between Las Americas and Hwy. # 5, enrought to Samana and Las Galeras. It is true that the road is VASTLY superior to many other roads in the Dominican and is the quickest route to Las Galeras, whether driving or by public conveyance.

However, you should be aware that this road is not engineered to the standards you will find in the US or in Europe, even on very old routes. Curves are not banked as you might anticipate, and other drivers frequently and blindly disregard the no-passing zones. So be forewarned and pay attention.

Also, the alternate route via the Duarte Hwy. and passing through San Francisco de Macoris and Nagua is only a couple of hours longer and provides a more direct experience of "not-so-touristy" town in the DR, so don't dismiss that possibility out-of-hand.

Finally, a hearty "amen" to the suggestion that you avoid driving at night. Besides dogs, cows, horses, children and people sleeping on the pavement you will most certainly encounter other vehicles, many of which will have no lights and several of which will have the most powerful high beam, fog, offroad, and spot lights you will have ever seen. They have the right of way. :)

Enjoy.

Bill