Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bull dogs

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bull dogs

Hi, Im looking to get a bulldog puppy, does anyone know where I may be able to get one from?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I love animals and love Bulldogs even more and will try my best to discourage you from getting one,IF, you are intending to live in the DR.
    Bulldogs are very high priced ,($2,000) and have a laundry list of health problems..the heat alone in the DR will make it impossible for this breed.
    English Bulldog Health issues, problems and disease

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    I love animals and love Bulldogs even more and will try my best to discourage you from getting one,IF, you are intending to live in the DR.
    Bulldogs are very high priced ,($2,000) and have a laundry list of health problems..the heat alone in the DR will make it impossible for this breed.
    English Bulldog Health issues, problems and disease
    Paddy, advice I have heard before (aside form your Bulldog specific problems) is that is difficult, and perhaps unwise, to import a grown to the tropics because of the temperatures.

The heat can be detrimental if they don't adapt.....personally, I think dogs are very adaptive so I question the wisdom.

It certainly makes the issue moot if you buy a dog/puppy born and bred in the tropical climate.

Having said that, we bring BoBo the boxer for 4 months in the winter..... no problems. He sunbathes several hours a day... flat out in the sunshine.
    He just did it today in Philadelphia at 50 degrees... go figure

WW

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone is advertising bulldog puppies to give away in the AdScene. I have been so tempted to call, but I do know the short life span and medical problems bulldogs tend to experience. Wish someone would take those sweet doggies!

Lindsey

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs and boxers are not the same as far as airways are concerned. You can't compare one to the other just because they both look like they've been hit with a truck.
    It is just common sense that a beast that has trouble breathing in cool conditions will find life more difficult when his lungs need more oxygen to cool him down. Yes a dog will sunbathe all day quite happily, it isn't the direct heat when they are doing sod all that is the problem. It is not being able to get air into the lungs quick enough when the go for a walk.
    If you want a trophy dog to spend it's life sitting on a cushion getting fat and draining you bank for vets bills with heart surgerys then go for it, get a bulldog.
    I think it is a bit silly. If you want an ugly dog then get a pug, body mass matches up well enough to cope well with it all.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The way most bulldogs and other "purebreeds" are produced in the US through puppy mills, I would be very hesitant to get involved with one. I can't imagine there would be a healthy breeding population of them in the DR.

YouTube - The Oprah Winfrey Show Exposes Puppy Mills!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Anastacio..... I think you're right.

Don't airlines have rrestrictions about flying Bulldogs?
    Many won't accept them, if I remember

WW

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Some countries are also banning the import of Bulldogs and Rottweilers.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    Some countries are also banning the import of Bulldogs and Rottweilers.
    Why? What is this based on?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason in the UK was that they killed some kids years ago and the Pitbulls bred for fighting were being mistreated by some breeders.

But I thought it was Tozas, Rottweilers and Pitbull Terriers in particular.

From what I have seen of Bulldogs one would only be dangerous if it fell on you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast