Renewing Tourist Visa

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Can a tourist visa be renewed at any immigration office in the DR or just at airports? My understanding is it is valid for 2 months and thus you can drive legally in the DR with a U.S. liscence as long as your tourist visa is valid. Thanks in advance K

Aug 21, 2007
I am told by immigration that it is good for one month. I asked for my husband, who doesn't have residency and still comes and goes with frequency. The Puerto Plata Airport cannot extend your tourist visa for you (called a prorroga.) I also went to the immigration office in Puerto Plata with the question. They do not do it, either. Both places insisted not to be concerned. They say the standard procedure is simply to pay the fees upon leaving the airport. I responded that doing so makes a person an illegal immigrant. They insisted no.

I know all the protections residency provides. I know it is the sensible way to go. However, for some people who do not live here and do not intend to, it would be nice to have a more convenient way to extend the tourist visa, get a prorroga, without having to travel to Santo Domingo.

Lindsey

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
I went to the immigration office in Nagua, which is the capital of the province where I live. They said they only do passports. They had no idea where one could go to renew a tourist visa.