Looking for People!

reynolds

Dec 12, 2010
www.canadastop20.com
Hey there,

I am making the move on down the first week of January and will living in the Punta Cana region. Would love to meet some people when I get there that can show me the ropes and all that fun stuff.

Name is AJ.. dude from the east coast of Canada.. and I can nto wait to finally get there!

Looking forward to hearing back from some of you!

Cheers,
AJ

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
What do you mean by "ropes"?
rope - Definition of rope at YourDictionary.com
Most of Canadians are hanging out in El Dorado bakery (they are not hanging on ropes, it is just an expression).
Show someone the ropes: To orient a person who is new to the job/ group/neighborhood/city/and such to the rules and modes of operation of the aforementioned.

It was a sailing/Navy term. A sailor on a sailing ship was expected to know the names of all the lines on the ship so that when sail(s) needed to be moved or furled, he could join others in setting the sails. Since most sailors were illiterate (or new), the way they learned the ropes was to have someone name them and drill you on the names.

Last edited:

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
There's not much of an organized ex-pat community here in the East.

You may want to tell us a little about yourself (but remember this is a public forum so you need to be careful). Why are you moving to PC, what are your interests, etc.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
ropes?????

Excuse me -- ropes???? How old are you - 2? If you ask about where to meet people - you did not exactly explain clearly.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Excuse me -- ropes???? How old are you - 2? If you ask about where to meet people - you did not exactly explain clearly.

Go find another Shell Station and report back to us how the snacks are!

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Burn

hahahaha "shell gas station" too funny. :bunny:

nice xmas attitude, no?

to OP hope you make good connections and enjoy my country

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
To anyone familiar with colloquial English, "show me the ropes" is perfectly clear. In any case, it's not cause for an insult.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Im living in Punta Cana, and I'm also from Canada....Ontario, but lived in NB for 4 years. Send me a pm if u need anything.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
lighten up??????????

Sorry - but if English is used here - you need to use it - don't need dictionary interpretations of proper use of phrasing. If just another dude is coming to Punta Cana to play - say so. So - hope you find someone to play with and enjoy our wonderful Punta Cana.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Sorry - but if English is used here - you need to use it - don't need dictionary interpretations of proper use of phrasing. If just another dude is coming to Punta Cana to play - say so. So - hope you find someone to play with and enjoy our wonderful Punta Cana.

I'm sorry... I meant to say lighten the **** up! "show me the ropes" is a perfectly suitable phrase to use. Why don't you go crap on someone else's thread.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Yes, English is used here, but it's important to remember that English differs from country to country. In the Chat Room DR1ers from around the globe find out every night that Americans and Brits don't always understand each other! :cheeky: Now, throw in the Germans, Dutch, Dominicans, etc., who post here and we sometimes DO need interpretations. Where are you from jeb? I'm American, and I think I knew what 'show me the ropes' meant by the time I was 5. All he was looking for was someone who knew their way around Punta Cana to give him some tips. No need for all the hostility!!!!

Bah humbug!

AE

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
You are right

Thank you - you are right - and I do apologize to all for any hostility that came from me. It is holiday time - everyone has their right to express any way they want - so Sorry to All - and a Happy Holiday & New Year 2011.