600k problem Judgements, Liens against property

Adriana

Dec 21, 2010
Ok so here is my issue. I have a building in Bonao that is 80% complete and I paid the construction company all but 75k of total contract. The contract was broken into % complete and payments. The credit markets dried up, couldn't finish building. The const. company filed a judgement for 600k (then doubled it) saying I never paid them when I have wire transfers showing I had. They are trying to take the building and property that I now want to finish. This hardly seems legal, yet they were awarded a judgement and I never even received notice. I want to fight this and get my building and this ridiculousness cleared. Is it going to cost a ton and is it that hard? They lied after all and said I hadn't paid when I'd paid almost 600k!!!

Thanks for the help.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Did you have a lawyer involved in any of this? Review the contract, etc.? DR legal matters are not for the faint of heart or the uninformed. My advice is to contact Sr. Guzman at Guzman Ariza Attorneys at Law [click on the name at the top of this page] as soon as possible.

AE

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio Guzman, the lawyer mentioned by AlterEgo, answers questions in this section. This is not the same as engaging a lawyer, but he will point you in the direction you want to go.

But it does seem that you need a lawyer you can trust. I have used the Guzman Ariza firm for years and can highly recommend them. Guzman Ariza Law Firm in the Dominican Republic

They have 7 offices and there should be one that is in your area.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Perhaps they faked a summons that you had been served notice and then they got a default judgment when you didn't appear.

So you have a contract for almost $675k, paid almost $600k which you can prove, and they got a judgment for $1.2 million?

This certainly does seem absurd and criminal even though you did not fulfil your end of the contract.

I sure hope the contract was reviewed by a competent lawyer to make sure the payments went to the same company and to make sure there were no outrageous stipulations for breach of contract.

Good luck.