Balcones del Atlantico in Las Terrenas, reviews or opinions?

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Can anyone give me a review or opinions regarding Balcones del Atlantico in Las Terrenas? We would be two families with children and they have a three bedroom hotel/apartment for rent. It looks nice on the internet, but hoping to have some local input. They say it is near Playa Bonita. Is this a good area for swimming, etc? We will have a car but is it far from stores, etc. Don't have any information about this area so any info that you may have will be appreciated.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
These are very high end apartments.... new.

The one in town is about 2-3 years old, the one just out of town is less than that.

Built by wealthy Dominicans.... European appliances and fixtures.

Both are on or across the street from the beach. Easy acces for children.

We almost bought one but opted for a freestanding villa instead of an apartment.

With a car... everything is accessible.... not far from anything

WW

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Thank you William!

Just what I needed to know. If I may ask, how do you get there if arriving from Sanchez?
Thank you.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Balcones

Brandnew projekt 5 minutes out of town las terrenas. Projekt is from al sites in full construction. High quality.
Beachfront restaurant burned down totally on old/newyears evening by fireworks.. I was one of the last ones who had dinner there.
Very nice swimmmable ocean and beach in front. Nothing in walking distance. Everything by car.
Playa bonita by car around 10-15 minutes. Depends on traffic.
Good option is renting a private villa at playa bonita.
They have a small apartment building inside las terrenas. Called terrazas de atlantico. Only apartments and is not connected with rockresorts.

If you want to have everything in walking distance, restaurants, opt for a private villa there. Go to Las Terrenas villa Rental l Luxury vacation and holiday homes in Samana l Dominican Republic rent a villa and ask for gisela.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Arrival

Just outside sanchez left side is a gasstation. Directly after that turn left up in the mountains. After around 25-35 minutes you arrive in las terrenas. Follow the stream. Mostly one way roads. Almost coming to the crnter and beach and cemetery keep on following to right/east. Going outside las terrenas after 5 minutes right side.
Between the projekt bda and the beach is a road. They willl help you crossing the roads safely ehen going to the beach.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Balcones D'atlantico

Just to clarify a bit, this project is not anywhere near Playa Bonita. It is located east of Las Terrenas. About 10 min car ride, toward El Portillo. It is very upscale, with a beautiful pool & beach, but not walking distance to anywhere with kids. It is,however, only about 5 min. ride back to Playa Poppi. where there are many restaurants. To get to Playa Bonita you must go back into the middle of town and follow turn for Playa Coson. From the Balcones project to Playa Bonita is a good 20 minute ride. Playa Bonita is very beautiful but isolated. Balcones would be a better choice with kids. Good luck.

S

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Well my friend, you are going to hear it from the horse's mouth. My husband and I own an apartment in Balcones del Atlantico and if you can afford to rent there, I wouldn't go anywhere else. It's the top of the line in Las Terrenas and there is just nothing else that compares. The beach is gorgeous and inmaculate (no trash there), the security is unmatchable (very important in Las Terrenas) and the cleanliness superb. Very spacious apartments all airconditioned. The appliances are Viking or Sub-Zero (I don't think these are European appliances but I could be wrong). Once there, they will provide free transportation to town every day.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions and if you do decide to stay in Balcones, let me know so that I can meet you there.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Thank you everyone!

I really appreciate everyone's help with information. Years ago, before the kids came along, we would travel at the drop of the hat and just "wing it" as we went, not a lot of planning involved. Now, with a family, I find myself estimating driving times, meal times, distances to everything from the pool/beach to the ice machine in the hotel!! How things change.

Anyway, thanks William, Tony, Steve and Juniper as I now have a good idea what to expect and how to get there! And by the way, thanks also to Don for the PM of directions. I will report back of our experiences.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sorry, I was travelling.... am in RD now.

The in-town Balcones is almost exclusively Dominicans...I'd be surprised if there were rentals.

These are all $500,000 US or more to buy.... so, calculate the rents from there

I see you've found all you need - even an owner !!

Good luck

WW

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Actually, there is no such thing as in-town Balcones del Atlantico, those are called Terrazas del Atlantico and it is basically a different entity. Balcones del Atlantico is closer to El Portillo and it's being managed by Rock Resorts.

Some people are renting from Rock Resorts and some are renting directly from owners, either way, the place is fantastic! Great for kids too.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Juniper, a question.

Juniper, is there a way to communicate directly with owners regarding rentals? I have found the Rock Resort web-site but your post left to wonder about renting directly from an owner. Thanks again.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I will find out which owners are renting directly and will let you know. When are you planning to be here and for how long?

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Juniper, got your pm.

I have been traveling and not on-line so I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thank you for the pm and I sent you the details that you requested. Am flying home tomorrow so will be later in the evening or Sunday before I am back online again. Thanks again.

vktb21

Aug 31, 2011
We are thinking about staying at Balcones this October for 5 nights. Are there any recent reviews/opinions? We will not be renting car. How easy is it to get to town? Is there still a free shuttle?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Read and reread the above posts.... there is nothing better in LT...Maybe in RD.... its that good.

As for the comment about there being no Balcones project in town.... unless they changed the name.... WRONG!!

In fact the owner... Bisono.. has his unit there... I was in it w/ him... penthouse on the left side as you face the bulding from the beach.

I'm sure thre are other rentals too..... as in Tonydomrep...... your choice