I refuse to believe that only visanet and cardnet accept pesos.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I've called and emailed several payment solutions outside DR and it seems that nobody accepts Dominican pesos for sales transactions. Even the multi-currency processors seem to ignore my emails.

I refuse to believe that visanet and cardnet are the only ones that do this. It just can't be.

Reactions: mike l
A

Amir

What business?

Hhi guys is there anyone experienced who can tell me suggest me what business can I start in DR with US$ 10-20,000.

Reactions: mike l

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've called and emailed several payment solutions outside DR and it seems that nobody accepts Dominican pesos for sales transactions. Even the multi-currency processors seem to ignore my emails.

I refuse to believe that visanet and cardnet are the only ones that do this. It just can't be.
The only places on the planet I'm aware of that do are the DR and maybe a few places in Washington Heights...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

This is a good question because at the local private mail companies here in Santiago like EPS, Business Mail and Vimenpaq they run thriving businesses of shiping stuff from the US to the DR. I always see Dominicans buying things from Amazon and whatnot.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This is a good question because at the local private mail companies here in Santiago like EPS, Business Mail and Vimenpaq they run thriving businesses of shiping stuff from the US to the DR. I always see Dominicans buying things from Amazon and whatnot.
Purchased in dollars with credit cards processed in the states, or payPal and Google Check Out.

NOT with pesos through cardnet and visanet.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Purchased in dollars with credit cards processed in the states, or payPal and Google Check Out.

NOT with pesos through cardnet and visanet.

I'm wasn't trying to refute the above point you make simply that many Dominicans make purchases abroad. The next question then is do the Dominicans who make their purchase have a US address where they can then apply for a card or can everything be done here in the DR?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I think I figured it out; Dominicans must have an account in dollars at Dominican banks.

My mother has a regular Visa credit card from the DR (bank) that she use every time she comes to the USA, and she doesn't have an account in dollars with any bank.

Reactions: Chip

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have miesposo's credit card, it has double limit, one in pesos for local transacions and one in dollars for transactions abroad. works in all countries i visited so far...

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
i have miesposo's credit card, it has double limit, one in pesos for local transacions and one in dollars for transactions abroad. works in all countries i visited so far...

What is a "miesposo" credit card? Is that a name of some small, local, DR bank?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
2Checkout.com - Merchant Account / Credit Card Processing Alternative works with Dominican pesos, and can deposit the money to Dominican Bank account.

---

@Ezequiel: Banco Leon visa prepaid cards can be used in any other country, and also for paying over the Internet. Also credit cards from other Dominican banks.

As far as I'm aware, 2Checkout DO NOT handle pesos as a transaction currency, but will wire money for a fee to a Dominican bank.

miloskorac can you show me someone making transactions in pesos using 2Checkout? I have been a client of theirs for 8 years and have never seen anything showing RD$ as a transaction currency.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
My mother has a regular Visa credit card from the DR (bank) that she use every time she comes to the USA, and she doesn't have an account in dollars with any bank.
And she is charged an annual fee in Dollars for that service. I paid that quote for many years on my Dominican Visa and Master card and never used a dime in Dollars from any of theses accounts.

JJ

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
miloskorac, you need to read the other posts in this thread and the other threads on this topic.

VisaNet and Cardnet process in RD$. Avisor are a gateway (middle man), you still need an account with VisaNet and Cardnet to process RD$.

The easiest way to take RD$ is to capture the data via SSL and a POS to verify and run the card. This is because the API's are not that good form these companies and they are a pain to deal with if you want online via them. The downside is you need to be PCI compliant to do this if you're hosting in the USA, as you taking ans storing people's CC data.

bkp

Mar 27, 2011
So any ideas on possibly eCommerce Payment architecture that can be supported in Dominican Republic? Does Cardnet host a payment integration that any merchants eCommerce site can redirect to, and support tokenization? Also, any thoughts on PCI compliance thinking with the processors in DR?