Cayo Levantado/Bacardi Island

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Can one get to the Cayo Levantado/Bacardi Island through a water taxi or do you have to be a part of a tour?
I would really like to be able to go by water taxi and not pay the tour price. I have read conflicting stories so if anyone has gone recently I would like to hear about it. Thanks!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Cayo Levantado

Hi:

Yes you can hire a water taxi to take you out to the island. I'm not sure what the pricing is? Obviously it would depend on how many in your party. There are a lot a boats offering their services. You need to be a good negotiator. Cayo Levantado is very beautiful with white sand beaches and spectacular scenery however, it is also a big tourist trap. Prices for food & drink are elevated. You are a captive audience. There is also an all inclusive hotel located on the island and the place is over run with tourists and vendors looking for the dollar. you would be better off to spend your money on a whale watching trip or a tour of Los Haites National Park.

S

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Thanks for your reply. I was worried about the tourist trap aspect and was also considering visiting the park instead. I think you are right!
Thanks so much!