Moving Back to SDQ

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Hi all,

I am moving back to SDQ after 12 years abroad in New York.
I need help on due diligence regarding the costs/taxes of shipping my belongings home. I have spoken to several moving/shipping companies and have received numerous quotes. My main concern is that if I want to bring my awesome 50" LED LCD tv I have to pay US$ 800 "due to taxes". Seriously?! I find that to be pretty absurd, thus I ask one and all DR1'ers with recent experience in moving to share their wisdom as to the validity/fairness of these cost.

Note, I did go to the Aduana website and it said that as a person who resided more than 2 years in a foreign country I have the right to have my belongings exonerated of taxes. I am not sure if I interpreted the Aduana document correctly though.

Please advise and thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
arg1118

Nov 25, 2008
First off why would you want to move back? Has it been 12 years since you've visited RD?
think about it, a lot has changed here

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
IIRC;

If you are a returning Dominican national, you can have your normal household stuff exonerated (once in a lifetime deal now).

IF you are a foreigner, doing the residency will give you a 6 month window to bring your stuff exonerated.

A Dominican acquaintance moved back last year from Florida using La Rosa del Monte, door to door service, contents of a three bedroom house + one car = $7K. Aduanas collected another ~$1.5K in fees for the car.

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Thanks for the replies

I am a US resident but also a DR citizen. I guess I will have to carefully go through Customs paperwork to make sure I can bring my TV in tax free.

jorgesarduysousa: I have family interest to take care of. I have been living abroad for 12 years, it does not mean I have not been visiting frequently. I am well aware of the "wonderful advances in the DR, specially infrastructure, anti-corruption and drug legislation and enforcement".

Part of me is happy to return and another part is not, the important thing in any transition is to be positive.

IIRC: thanks for the info. I will check that company out.

Regards,
arg1118

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
I am a US resident but also a DR citizen. I guess I will have to carefully go through Customs paperwork to make sure I can bring my TV in tax free.

I know my acquaintance bought in three TVs (I helped her set them up) in the move. Two are plasmas, a 50" and a 42", the other is a Samsung 46" 3D LED - no fees.

She did mention having to pay a fee for a Williams Sonoma juice press, go figure!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the best shipper i have found is La Union Shipping on jerome ave in the bronx, give them a call, they're in the phone book, i've used others but La Union is fast, door to door, price fair, nothing disappears out of the boxes, i've used other shippers and sometimes one or two items will be stolen as if it were a tip.