A quiet giant passed away today

Jan 9, 2004
Sargent Shriver, related to the Kennedy family through marriage, passed away today.

He used his position of influence in the Kennedy Family to advance countless humanitarian causes, both here and abroad. I always felt he positively impacted more lives around the world and did more to enhance the image of the US abroad than most of the politicians of his time.

Keeping this DR related, he was also the first Director of the Peace Corps which has been sending volunteers to the D.R. since 1962.

And even closer to the board, I believe at least one poster here was a volunteer Peace Corps worker here in the sixties.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

May 29, 2006
Special comments last night on MSNBC on several shows. I don't know about the coverage on FOX. It would be nice if there was a Peace Corps type option in the US instead of the military. AmericCorps isn't even close. My dad did Peace Corps/VITA work in the DR, PR and several other countries back in the late 60's early 70's

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I am one of the very few who went to the same school as Sarge and served in the Peace Corps...among the first 1000 so they said...

HB