Boogey boarding near Samana?

Stereo56

Jan 16, 2011
It sounds like the water is really calm around Las Galeras/Samana which is great for my partner but I like to play in the waves. I know that Sosua is good for boogey boarding, but is there anywhere closer with not-too-extreme waves and a shop where you can rent a board?

Thank you for your help.

ratbastard

May 15, 2010
Playa Bonita is just west of Las Terrenas. The eastern half of the beach has a number of surf schools and perpetual waves. Enjoy!
ratbastard

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Boogey Boarding

In addition to Playa Bonita, Playa Coson, the next beach over, also has good wave action. Go to Louis' restaurant on the beach at Coson. You can eat, drink, sunbathe, walk and play in the surf. Follow the signs out of Las Terrenas to Coson. Cross over new highway. still red clay and small metal bridge and you will see immediately on your right a small sign for Louis'. Turn up narrow drive and you will beat the beach and Louis' grilling shack. Very informal, with lobster, shrimp, octopus, dorado, pollo, tostones, ensalada....best seafood in the area.
It's worth finding. Buenos Suarte'

S

Stereo56

Jan 16, 2011
Sounds great, though the suggestions are getting farther away from Las Galeras, which makes sense as I look at a map. The road east of Las Galeras dips south before going back up to the north shore at Las Terranas. I'll be flagging down a gua gua.