This is ridiculous

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
During this week a guy have been counting manually the vehicles passing thru the falling structure of the building that was suppose to be a toll on Autopista Duarte, interception Santiago / La vega.
The guy is using a pen and a note book; Reason the government is on the process to make a deal with a management company to run the highway.

Just think about that this co. does not have a electronic machine to count the cars.

JJ

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
electronic machine would mean 1 less "botella" job for the PLD supporter.
AZB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hard to cook the books with an empirical device...

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Believe it or not, I saw this occur in the Unites States once.

Sometimes, it is cheaper to pay a person to sit there a couple of days and count cars than it is to send to people to install a machine and then remove it. If a company doesn't count cars on a regular basis, they may have to rent the machine, or contract another company to do the job.

Also consider that if we are discussing a foreign company, then they would have to pay the shipping fee and import fee and bribe to get the car counting machine through customs. For RD$1,000 per day, having someone sit there is much more cost effective (especially if the employee has to bring his own notebook, pencil, and chair).

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Believe it or not, I saw this occur in the Unites States once.

Sometimes, it is cheaper to pay a person to sit there a couple of days and count cars than it is to send to people to install a machine and then remove it. If a company doesn't count cars on a regular basis, they may have to rent the machine, or contract another company to do the job.

Also consider that if we are discussing a foreign company, then they would have to pay the shipping fee and import fee and bribe to get the car counting machine through customs. For RD$1,000 per day, having someone sit there is much more cost effective (especially if the employee has to bring his own notebook, pencil, and chair).

If that job paid RD1000 a day, there would be a line of doctors, lawyers and engineers applying for it.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If that job paid RD1000 a day, there would be a line of doctors, lawyers and engineers applying for it.

You would be surprised to see how much many doctors, engineers and lawyers make in this country.
Example: my friend is a civil engineer in santiago. He just bought a 75,000 dollar brand new SUV (cash). How many doctors or engineers in usa could do that?
My GF's sister (lawyer) bought an apartment a month ago for business and and already selling it for a million peso profit. She already has a customer interested. She sells houses like these regularly in santiago.
So please do not lump all the dominican doctors and lawyers in one pack. Many are doing way better here than many in usa at the moment.
AZB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
well, it would be easier to use a video camera and just record the cars going through the the overpass in a 12 hour period and then count them later at an office. I guess this is to get an average of daily traffic?