Caves of La Romana - Cuevas de marvillas - WOW!

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
I just wanted to note that if 1). you like seeing the beauties of nature and 2). find yourself complaining that the DR govt. can never "figure out" a good way to make a good project while protecting it at the same time, will LOVE and MUST visit the Cuevas de Marvillas between San Pedro and la Romana (right on the main road). All there is to say is WOW!

Tours in Spanish and English. Actually wheel chair accessable (for part of the cave system). Taino pictographs EVERYWHERE. Magnificent stalagtite, stalagmite and column formations. Just terrific....in fact I was SHOCKED at how well this project was put together.

Absolutely worth the trip - approx 1 hour tour of the caves and grounds. No photography. 150 pesos per adult.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I just wanted to note that if 1). you like seeing the beauties of nature and 2). find yourself complaining that the DR govt. can never "figure out" a good way to make a good project while protecting it at the same time, will LOVE and MUST visit the Cuevas de Marvillas between San Pedro and la Romana (right on the main road). All there is to say is WOW!

Tours in Spanish and English. Actually wheel chair accessable (for part of the cave system). Taino pictographs EVERYWHERE. Magnificent stalagtite, stalagmite and column formations. Just terrific....in fact I was SHOCKED at how well this project was put together.

Absolutely worth the trip - approx 1 hour tour of the caves and grounds. No photography. 150 pesos per adult.

I'll second that, Dave,
World class I would say,
Bryan

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
Been residing in the DR for 12 years and I must say it is a must see. Well organized and a preservation of the history of the Dominican Republic. weel said dms3611

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I visited Cueva de las Maravillas when it first opened about six years ago. Great to hear it has maintained the high standards.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I saw this place, (or at least it sounds the same), on my first visit to the D.R. a few years back. It was one of the highlights of the tour we took from the A.I. in Punta Cana. I agree, it really is a "must see"! Not only is it a fantastic historical and geological site, but it also reflects well on the D.R. gov't for setting it up and maintaining it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The REAL story: That site is run by a foundation that is handled through the founder of the Banco Popular, Alejandro Grullon...

NOW you know why it is well run....like Santiago's airport, Punta Cana Airport, HOMS and other such institutions...

And, Yes, it is a MUST SEE....Like the Whales in Samana and Altos de Chavon and el Museo de las Casas Reales...

HB