Dominican Income Tax

E

engineerfg

Do Dominicans have to pay tax on their global earnings? Or just their domestic income?

I know this is all theoretical as nobody pays any tax anyways, but does anybody know if a Dominican for example accrues foreign property income, or capital gains, if that foreign earned income needs to be declared locally?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Do Dominicans have to pay tax on their global earnings? Or just their domestic income?

I know this is all theoretical as nobody pays any tax anyways, but does anybody know if a Dominican for example accrues foreign property income, or capital gains, if that foreign earned income needs to be declared locally?

I don't know what happens in reality but foreign earned income is taxed. As far as local income tax many people pay it, including my wife. I'm not sure where you get your ideas from.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

No, we Dominican don't have to pay taxes on our global earnings. It's not the Dominican government business what I earn or own here in the U.S.A and they have no way to know it or enforce it.

You are asking the question because American citizens have to pay taxes no matter where they work and live in the world?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No, we Dominican don't have to pay taxes on our global earnings. It's not the Dominican government business what I earn or own here in the U.S.A and they have no way to know it or enforce it.

You are asking the question because American citizens have to pay taxes no matter where they work and live in the world?

You are living the USA. What if you were living in the DR and receiving dividends from American investments?

E

engineerfg

Bob_saunders - I get my impressions on tax evasion from the local business owners and their employees that I talk to. This is a cash society and nobody reports their income fully or properly, hell I doubt more than 50% even file a 'tax return'?? But let's not get distracted...

Ezequiel - Yes the question is sort of coming from that. There are countries where your global income is taxed no matter where you are a resident. So for example US Citizens should file a tax return even if they live in the DR, but they don't have to remit anything to uncle sam unlss their income is above a certain number. But there are countries that have different tax rates (some close to zero) for foreign earned income when resident in their home country.

So if you lived in DR, but you had a home for rent in say Cayman islands, does the DR expect you to pay tax on the income you bring back that's not considered 'exempt surplus'?