photography and personal right to privacy

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Does anyone KNOW, (please, no guesses or "I heard that ...") the legality of photographing people in public in the D.R. and any restrictions on using those photos?

Specifically:
1 - The legality of actually photographing people in public situations.

and 2 - The permissible use of those photos, (i.e. publishing (commercially or for education), posting on the internet, selling the photos as art online via Flickr, etc.)

In the U.S. there are very specific rules regarding rights to privacy and commercial use of photos, and I'm just wondering if the same holds true in the D.R.

Lastly... we all know the law is one thing, and actual customs and practices are another. Even if shooting and using photos is technically legal; is it considered rude, or improper to do so? (Being legal isn't a big help if it will get your A$$ kicked in the process. LOL)

the Captn

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
May I ask,

1. you want to take pictures in the street, in bars, etc?

2. you don't want to be photographed by somebody?

As I understand, you are asking about point 1.

Dominicans are very friendly to photographers and usually they love to be photographed. For example, this Friday I visited ARS Humano office, and most of the employees were wearing a disco style wigs, very funny. So I started to make photos, nobody complained about that... they started to smile, make funny faces, they loved to be photographed, really.

Of course, you can face another reaction if you start to make photos in Capotillo )) But no laws, permissions or specific rules will help you there for sure.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Regarding distributing those photos... for example, photographers from Bufeo.com make a lot of pictures from every party, concert, fashion event, etc. I was photographed by them too on some concerts, and later I found my face on their website. Nobody asked for my (or somebody else's) permission for that. I hope this answers your question about how they do it here.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
... we all know the law is one thing, and actual customs and practices are another. Even if shooting and using photos is technically legal; is it considered rude, or improper to do so? (Being legal isn't a big help if it will get your A$$ kicked in the process. LOL)

the Captn

Be careful of who and where you photograph.

Take pictures of expats on the north coast and you will probably be pegged as working for INTERPOL