Santiago airport to Cabrera?

caberaone

Feb 27, 2011
I will be traveling to Cabrera in March and will be arriving at the Santiago Airport. Is there anyone who can give me the best (safest and easiest) driving directions? I have driven from Puerto Plata airport before but not Santiago. I would love some help!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why drive when you can take a cab and a bus or two..

Okay, you are Brave Heart. Drive out of the Airport rental area, go South out the beautiful entrance road. After the two speed bumps, stay on the left and go down to the left when the road splits.

You are now on the Duarte Highway heading South east. The next overpass, about 5=7 minutes down the road is to MOCA...Follow the signs to MOCA.

In Moca go to the left when road ends at a stoplight intersection in front of some imposing buildings. Big church off to the left. Take that road for a kilometer or so, untill you come to a major fork. There are some ugly dark green (Last time I was there) fortress like buildings off on your left--the Moca Prison in fact--and again take the left down a little hill. Stop light at the bottom. Go straight.

You go up and to the right and in a klick or two come to another fork: This time stay to the right--you can see a Texaco station up on the right. Follow this road until you come to a busy intersection with a NATIVA gas station on your left and a new Police Station on your right: Turn Right. The signs should indicate JAMAO...follow that windy road until it ends at the intersection in Sabaneta and then you are on the coast highway that goes to Cabrera, about another hour down the road.

Maybe somebody can add to this??

HB

There is an alternate route that might be easier: Out of the airport go to the left, towards the Aduanas and FedEx offices, NOT the highway out to the South.
At the end of that road take a left. At the end of that road take a right and go to MOCA. When you get to the area this side of MOCA where there are like car dealers wall-to-wall, watch for a busy intersection on your left. Go left and proceed as above. That is the road to San Victor and Canca and to the turn off for JAMAO. You will see the TExaco station on the right.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I usually go by way of Calle Las Palomas, left on 14 then a right on 21. Google maps has the route layed out in yellow.

Looking at the airport from the road into it you take a right and then your 1st left going past the side of the airport. About 5 miles later you take the right onto Calle Las Palomas. 8 miles later you hit the end of the road and take a left onto 14. 6 miles down 14 take a right onto 21. This road goes thru Jamao and down to Sabanetta. Right onto 5 and you know the rest.

21 is a dark winding road at night but during the day the scenery is awesome.

Again, Google Maps has it in yellow starting from the side of the airport. Good luck.

HB beat me to it.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
On my last post miles should be KM's. 14 is AV 27 De Febrero and 21 is Calle Duarte.

Gotta love Google Maps. Going that route at night next week. There are more than a few hairpin turns on 21. Also, many cattle drives on that road during the day. Guys waving a stick with a red flag is your cue. Have your camera ready.

caberaone

Feb 27, 2011
Santiago Airport to Cabrera

Thank you Hillbilly and Jumbo for the driving routes. I really appreciate your time to answer my question. Hillbilly, I am interested in the taxi/bus idea. I have looked into it a little bit. The taxi is about 17 RD? (is that about right?) Do you have an idea how much the bus is to POP Airport? They leave every hour? If you know of a website for the buses in English, that would be great! I thought I could rent a car at POP and drive to Cabrera, unless you know of another major car rental closer to Cabrera. I would like to have a car where I am staying. I can't believe I got an answer back to my first question so fast, I will check back today to see if you can help again!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Taxis from STI to the city proper are in the neighborhood of 500 pesos or a little less than $20.
Buses to Sos?a are like RD$150 I think (never had to take one!). I have no idea what taxis are in Sos?a , but I do know that there are threads here on all of this. Why go to th POP to rent a car. Just rent one in Sos?a, there are tons of dealers there..

Caribe tour buses leave every hour...

HB

caberaone

Feb 27, 2011
Santiago Airport to Cabrera via DR-1 to 5

Could anyone tell me if traveling on DR-1 to 5 would be a safe and easy way to travel? I don't mind driving longer as long as it might be a smoother ride (realizing that this is DR!). Thank you very much. I would love to drive but may realize that the bus is better option!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nobodythat lives here knows any numbered routes. Okay, I can figure out that
Autopista Duarte might be Rt 1. But everyone here knows the way by names. I could not even think what Rt 5 might be.

Just follow my directions and you will get there. Just ask the rental agent which way to FedEx and he will point you to the right direction. From there you can't go wrong. Over the speed bump to the end, left, to the end, turn right, straight to the major intersection, left all the way to the Nativa Station, right to Jamao, right at the end of that road at Sabaneta. You go through Gaspar Hernandez, Rio San Juan and then reach Cabrera.

EOS dude, piece of cake.. You are making too much out of this..

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a car rental in Cabrera that will pick you up in Santiago and take you there in your rented car..... and take you back...... 2 hrs - door to door

Let me know if you want the contact.... about $50/day for a small SUV

Rio San Juan offers the same thing

Not bad to have a local rental/contact

WW

BTW..... HB's second route is the one to use.... the turn to go up the hill at Moca is a tough one... now that they have marked it w/ those orange cones... even harder to turn