Places to Stay in Las Terrenas

Simka

Oct 14, 2010
I've been planning a trip to the DR for the last year and have been trying to figure out where I want to stay. Originally I thought I would stay in Cabarete but have now decided that Las Terrenas is where I want to be. I'm coming down this summer in June for 3-4 weeks and I want to find a house or apartment to rent for a reasonable price. My question is:

Should I wait until I'm there to secure a place or should I do it over the internet. I understand the risks with the internet but I am also concerned that a lot of places will be book when I get there. I need a place that is safe because it will be just me and my son. I am 29 and my son is 9. What can I reasonably expect to spend on a rental for a month in Las Terrenas?

Thanks!

lisaM1

Jun 27, 2008
We have a 2 bedroom apartment, fully equipped gated apartment for rent in LT. It is within walking distance to everything. go to Homeaway.com #327973. Our property manager Toni can Help you out if you are interested. Thanks

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
The only place I recommend is the Alisei Hotel. They have lovely air conditioned 1 and 2 bedroom apartments with fully equipped kitchens. There is security (very important in Las Terrenas) and a good restaurant on the premises. Full maid service every day.
You can't beat the cleanliness.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Staying In LT

Hola:

I live in Las Terrenas. There are a number of places, depending upon your budget. I live at Don Cesar Residencia. This is a large condo complex, very secure, 2 swimming pools and other children who live here. You could get a 2 bedrooms apt for around $750.00 a month plus utilities. These apartment have a full kitchen. We are located right across from the beach and across from Las Pueblos de los Pescadores which are a number of bars and restaurants. You are less than a 10 minute walk to downtown shopping. If you want something less expensive google Hotel Miraposa, which is about a 5 minute walk down the road from Don Cesar. It is more intimate and they have small individual villas with kitchenette surrounding a pool, 24 hour secure and again short walking distance to everything, $600.00 a month with Wi-Fi and I think they serve breakfast. Do not bother with the Alisei. It is very nice however it is on the pricier side and you would need a vehicle to drive into town, especially at night where walking along the beach road is very dark and not recommended. Also in the downtown tourist area is Paseo Residencia. Again google their website. It is a good location and the price is equal to or than Hotel Miraposa. Good luck. If you need any other info send me a private message and I will be happy to give you the honest advice.

S

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Staying in LT / More Answers

Hi:

I forgot to tell you that you should definitely book a place prior to your arrival. You will get a fair price and know what your upfront costs are. If you are flying into Santo Domingo Las Americas a taxi to Las Terrenas will cost you between $185-$200 one way. There is also bus service to Las Terrenas. You can grab a taxi from the airport and tell them you want to connect to Transport Samana. They have a small kiosk about 15 minutes from the airport, where the new Santo Domingo-Samana highway starts. The bus will pick you up there and take you all the way to Las Terrenas. Taxi will cost about $35.00, bus costs about $9 USD. The bus leaves downtown SD and takes about 20-30 minutes to reach your stop. Bus runs at 2PM and 9PM. If you can get the 2PM you would be better off arriving in LT to get settled in during daylight hours. If you are flying into El Catey it is only 45 minutes from Las Terrenas and the taxi should be no more than $40-50 USD. Be sure to negotiate the price before you get into the taxi. Hit the ATM at the airport and get pesos before you leave. The taxi will take dollars but the bus prefers pesos. Buenos Suarte'

S

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Well, like Steve says, it depends on what your budget is, but remember, like everything else, you will get what you pay for. You might end up with extra benefits, like roaches, rats, uncomfortable pillows and mattresses, and last but not least,
not so clean linens. Oh, by the way, the beach in front of Don Cesar is contamintated with fecal matter brought down from the dirty river next to it.

Juniper

Simka

Oct 14, 2010
Thanks for the tips everyone! I was initially thinking I should stay in a hotel for a few days until I secure a place in person, but I'll see if I can find something before I get there. Thanks LTSteve for the info on getting to LT from the airports. I haven't yet bought my tickets because I'm still researching the best way to get there from Houston, Tx. I assumed the places online that list a monthly cost was in reference to long term renters of 6 months or more. I definitely don't want to pay vrbo prices of over $100 a night since I'll be there for 3-4 weeks.

I will look into the places you all have suggested. I have spent hours reading this board and have been doing a lot of research to better prepare for my trip, but any other tips are greatly appreciated! Any tips on activities for kids such as surf camps etc.? I also plan to travel the island with my son to places such as Jarabacoa. I don't plan on being stagnant, any must-see places I should visit?

Thanks guys!

Joy

lisaM1

Jun 27, 2008
Hi, Our place on homeaway.com #327973 rents for $300.00/week in June.

Thanks

Feb 15, 2005
LTSteve,

can you talk on the beach in front of the Don Cesar Residences? Is it that dirty? Would you recommend staying there and going to a different beach?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Flights to DR

Hi:

If you are flying from Texas, then fly into Santo Domingo, Las Americas airport. You may find a cheaper fare into another airport but it will be a more difficult connection to Las Terrenas and also more expensive once you require ground transportation. The beach across from Don Cesar is actually much improved and very clean. The water, although, not noticeable to the eye, is fed by the river which is about 200 yds up the beach, runs thru the heart of Las Terrenas and empties into the sea. It is certainly not clean. I do not go to the beach there to swim. I always go to Playa Las Ballenas down past Hotel Coibri.

S

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I'm not about to get between my amigos LTSteve and Juniper; :ermm: however... I also recommend reserving BEFORE you arrive and think you'd enjoy a place near Playa Popy--(ie: Thurston's rec of La Dolce Vita) -- I believe you inquired thru HomeAway about our villa, but we don't rent by the month...lo siento!!