Paying for gasoline ?

DE_Adventurer

Feb 21, 2011
I will be renting a car. To fill it, will I be able to pay with credit cards or do I need to get enough pesos to pay? Do the pumps have built-in credit card readers?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You may not know that it is not advisable to use a credit card ANYWHERE in the Dominican Republic. If you don't want to bring a lot of cash, use an ATM machine to get money from your bank - but only use machines that are outside/attached to banks.

As far as gas goes, I've never seen anyone pay with a credit card, but it may be possible.

AE

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is possible to pay with a credit card, at least at some gasoline stations. I have never seen a pump with a built in credit card reader here.

As AlterEgo advised it is not a good idea to use a credit card anywhere in the DR.
Take the advice of using an ATM to withdraw pesos when you need them. I recommend using BanReservas ATMs.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Bring cash Pesos!
Pay attention to what they are doing...lot of scams here!
I prefer to do the whole "process" myself.

Don't let them distract you; check the meter twice and pay with cash Pesos!
(preferable take the bills out of your wallet before entering the tank station)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I will be renting a car. To fill it, will I be able to pay with credit cards or do I need to get enough pesos to pay? Do the pumps have built-in credit card readers?

No pumps with credit card readers, but there have been several threads on the subject of adjustments to ATM's that facilitate bad guys to get at least your card number.

I've been living in the country for a long time and have never used a card here, except to get money from an ATM at a bank.

DE_Adventurer

Feb 21, 2011
... check the meter twice and pay with cash Pesos!
(preferable take the bills out of your wallet before entering the tank station)
Understanding that it really fluctuates, what is the going rate these days for a gallon (or is it by the liter?) of gas?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Understanding that it really fluctuates, what is the going rate these days for a gallon (or is it by the liter?) of gas?

These are price/gallon.

Premium
RD$ 191.00
arr_Up.gif

Regular
RD$ 180.80
arr_Up.gif

Diesel
RD$ 166.30
arr_Up.gif

Propane
RD$ 95.22
arr_Up.gif

Reactions: Bronxboy

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
You may not know that it is not advisable to use a credit card ANYWHERE in the Dominican Republic. If you don't want to bring a lot of cash, use an ATM machine to get money from your bank - but only use machines that are outside/attached to banks.

As far as gas goes, I've never seen anyone pay with a credit card, but it may be possible.

AE

Really ...that advice is going way too far ..credit fraud is everywhere in the world but as long as you keep an eye on your card all the time , the problems are minimal . it is far safer to carry a credit card around than a lot of cash and even Dominicans pay many accounts with a credit card ...that is why nearly all shops and restaurants have the machine available. However, Visa and Mastercard are often the only two alternatives .
Many people pay with a credit card for petrol but it is just more easy to pay in cash to the person who fills the tank .

Raul

Sep 21, 2008
I am dominican and live in canada.always go there on vacation and use my credicard to pay for gas. just ask if they take credicards before you put gas.
Be carefull not to carry too much cash on you.