Llego Papa! Funny in a sad sort of way...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
With close to 54% of the PRD vote, he's the man at the helm of the yola now.

I have a feeling the 2012 elections are going to be messy and not very peaceful.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
NO WAY...R u kidding me? Didn't think he had the remotest of chances. Now MVM says up to 200,000 PLD sympathizers voted for Hippo...it is going to get ugly within The PRD. On the other hand this should assure The PRD does not get back in power fro at least the next 8 years, which I'm completely fine with...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's their own fault for not having a membership-only convention. Whether or not it was distorted by PLD supporters voting, this is a gift for the Leonel camp. Now Leo can declare his reelection plans in a messianic, the-nation-needs-me-as-its-saviour gesture. Not that Vargas was electable, but Hippo...

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Hippolito's popularity is simply skyrocketcking by the hour... He has the dynamic to seat in the Palacio from 2012 on (not that it makes me happy, but it is a fact...)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
There is no way he can beat Leonel but a lot of people are chanting "Llego Papa" because is catchy and to joke around.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My [Dominican] husband was distressed, to put it mildly, that Papa won. One of the articles he read said that Miguel is contesting the results. I guess time will tell, but things could get very dicey until after the election.

AE

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I saw Papa in Bella Vista Mall recently. There was a lot of people around him cheering. He is very charasmatic. I think if PLD supporters voted on him, to avoid the MVP, they made a big mistake.

DCtoSDQ

Jan 10, 2004
This is crazy! I'm online 'chatting' via instant messager with a bunch of my dominican friends about the results and I am amazed they have forgotten what happened under his previous administration! One of them said that it is all Media and PLD 'propoganda' about the banks failing and was not his fault that the banks failed. He believes that Mejia can change the current economic situation and find him a job! My head is spinning with such 'crazy talk'!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hippolito's popularity is simply skyrocketcking by the hour... He has the dynamic to seat in the Palacio from 2012 on (not that it makes me happy, but it is a fact...)

Fact it is. My son in law was ecstatic this morning at breakfast. Either way I'm happy that Vargas didn't make it. He's too much a Leonel wantabe and as crooked.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I'm very sad right now, all my friends are celebrating Papa Hipo's victory drinking beers at a colmado of my neighborhood in Santiago.:paranoid:

08/16/2012 I'll be there...

JJ

DCtoSDQ

Jan 10, 2004
They all are 'crooked'...but who is less crooked! I thought Mejia was 'cooling' his heels at his country estate with all the illegally acquired Greenhouses from a few years back!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I saw him entering a rally at a Santo Domingo hotel. I was looking down on him from a balcony as he came in. He entered the lobby to the cheers of his supporters. He looked lost.

He's always impressed me as being a slug like character with zero personality and zero charisma.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I saw him entering a rally at a Santo Domingo hotel. I was looking down on him from a balcony as he came in. He entered the lobby to the cheers of his supporters. He looked lost.

He's always impressed me as being a slug like character with zero personality and zero charisma.

His SUV was at Embajador when I left today. Didn't get a chance to say hello. I don't really care, just curious about what's going to happen during his term. They will probably blame him for the current debts that Leonel will leave us with. Business as usual.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
His SUV was at Embajador when I left today. Didn't get a chance to say hello. I don't really care, just curious about what's going to happen during his term. They will probably blame him for the current debts that Leonel will leave us with. Business as usual.

It's as if nobody remembers the Hipolimoto.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The only people that are happy are those that "think" they will get a job or a handout.
Any half intelligent Dominican is shaking their head.

Pretty much everyone I have spoken today, young and old laughs as they can't believe how stupid their countrymen are.

It's one thing to win the support of your "party", it's another to win an election.
When you combine the depth of the PLD pockets and the new opposition that just arrived, they have got to be smiling.

I wonder what unfortunate PR firm will be asked to look after Hipolito for the 2012 elections?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's as if nobody remembers the Hipolimoto.

Did it have extra secret storage space like the plane they impounded in Florida?

I remember the bus to save fuel etc. That lasted all of 2-3 days, then they went back to the 10-15 SUV motorcades.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

You talk like it's a forgone conclusion he'll win.