Unlock Cell Phone

tomd63

Feb 25, 2011
doughertydoherty.synthasite.com
I have the IMEI code for my AT&T cell phone plus the unlock code BUT I have no ides how to enter these codes to unlock the phone. for instance do I enter the 17 digit code just like I am making a call then enter the 8 digit code to unlock the phone. If this is the correct procedure do I do this when I get to Santa Domingo and then purchase a new SIM card for the DR. Or do I wate until I get there and let the sales person do all the programing. Also which SIM card do I buy to use in DR. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Any cell phone store/carrier can unlock the phone for you. We've paid between 300 to 500 pesos to do that [$8-15/US] depending on location. They'll give you a SIM card and minutes too. Incoming calls are free, outgoing about $.15/US. Easy to do. Just look for a store that says ORANGE or CLARO or VIVA. They're everywhere.

AE

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have the IMEI code for my AT&T cell phone plus the unlock code BUT I have no ides how to enter these codes to unlock the phone. for instance do I enter the 17 digit code just like I am making a call then enter the 8 digit code to unlock the phone. If this is the correct procedure do I do this when I get to Santa Domingo and then purchase a new SIM card for the DR. Or do I wate until I get there and let the sales person do all the programing. Also which SIM card do I buy to use in DR. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Call ATT customer service, they will explain you how to do it. That is what I did and they even gave me the unlock code before I went to Costa Rica and Panama over the summer.I just had to buy new sims card over there.

In the DR, I didn't bother do all that because phones are cheap, so I just went to Orange with my passport bought a cheap flip phone (around 25 USD). Minutes can be bought about anywhere, even at your nearest colmado. I used the same phone on my 2 trips and was surprised to find that the number stayed the same even though they were 5 months apart.