where can i find a organic food store on the south coast?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All of the larger supermarkets have a department like that where you can find most of what you've listed. I was very pleasantly surprised at the variety too.

AE

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As my memory recalls, their is a store in Mirador Sul (Santo Domingo). Send Chrimoya a PM, I'm sure she will know the exact location.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
organic foods

There are these trucks that drive by numerous times per day. They have enormous loud speakers and announce, albeit somewhat inaudibly, the wide array of organic items that they have for sale that day.

platanos, guineo, onions, tomatoes, mangoes, verdura (that would be code for 'herbs') and nice fresh, warm eggs fresh from the chicken that have been toasting in the sun all day long. I wouldn't shop anywhere else!

Best organic option. Trust me ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I posted this visitor's message in response to a question I received from the OP but I thought it would be worth copying here for wider exposure. Could someone in the Mirador Sur area find out if the Mercado Ecol?gico is still there?
There used to be a shop called Mercado Ecologico but I think it closed down. It was a couple of blocks down from supermercado La Cadena at the end of Avenida Sarasota. The contact details were: Calle Ana Josefa Puello No. 33 in Mirador Sur, 829-435-8190, mercado_ecologico@yahoo.com.

I moved away from the area 3 years ago, that's why my information is not up-to-date. I did drive past the other day and noticed a new health food shop opposite La Cadena, and there is also a good but pricey shop called "Organica" in Plaza Catalu?a in Piantini, on Avenida Gustavo Mej?a Ricart - but they probably don't sell fresh produce.

As someone pointed out on the thread, the main supermarkets like Nacional have a good health food section and some produce may even be organic.