LOADED Question! - Coming to DR for 1 month

Bohemian

Apr 1, 2011
Hello everyone,

This forum is fantastic! There is so much information. Very interesting and colorful characters too!

In any regard, I finally got accepted to grad school and will be taking off work this summer to travel. I?ve decided to spend 4 weeks in DR before heading to Jamaica, then grad school. I?ve been to Santo Domingo a few times in the past for work and have had a chance to explore the city with coworkers. I?ve also been to Santiago once for work, but did not really get a chance to see much as we were only there for five days and worked till the cleaning crew showed up most nights.

I know the destination choice depends a lot on what I want to do , so in summary I would say that my goal is to be the mild mannered Clark Kent during the day and put on my superman outfit a night :rambo:. Really?., during the day I want to take in the culture, beach, maybe play some dominoes, and finally finish that book that I?ve been using to prop up the uneven leg of my dining table. At night, I want to put on my cape, explore the night life, feel the rhythms of the Caribbean beats; salsa, meringue, and maybe finally learn to dance bachata. I may even hit up the discotecas and get busy along with the locals dancing to pepe pepe or some other reggaeton song. I?d like to meet interesting Dominican women too. NO Pros! Quiero una mornea bella.... I think I have enough game and speak basic conversational spanish to maybe hold my own. If I?m lucky, my charm may get me around the bases. If I?m not lucky, and desperate, I guess I can always call for the pinch hitter over at the bar that?s been calling me Papi all evening.

I?ve narrowed my choice to Cabarete as some people have said that it provides the best overall balance. Is this a wise choice? Not that it matters, I?m an educated, 30 year old American male of Jamaican decent, currently living in Florida. I?m single and a former collegiate athlete. I?ve been told that I get along with most anybody. I don?t know if this is enough to get by on my own in Cabarete, or if it would be best for me to go somewhere more metropolitan in DR with more chances to meet people? If I do stay in Caberete, I?ve budgeted to stay at Millennium or Ocean Dream. I also got a referral for Victorian condos. As I will not have a car, it will be important for me to stay in a location that is relatively close to gym, supermarkets, restraints/bars. Any advice from the group would be helpful.

Sorry for the long post!!

Cheers!

Reactions: mike l

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Cabarete (either Ocean dream or Milinium) is a good choice as you will be within walking distance to everything and no need for a car. It will also fit what you are looking for.

Bob K

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Find a place in the center of Cabarete:

On the beach and more expensive as a result:

Velero Beach Resort
El Magnifico
Cabarete Palace Condo's
Palm Beach Condo's
Villa Taina

Less expensive, across the street, but still in the center:

Cita del Sol
Kaoba
Albatros

Bohemian

Apr 1, 2011
Thanks for the information everyone. I feel better about my choice in Cabarete. The condo suggestions were a great help too and I've called to get some quoted rates for my stay.

I have coincedentally heard about kite beach from an extreme sports show i saw on tv. I am intrigued about maybe staying in an ocean front room at the Kite Beach Hotel for the month. From the map on the web however, it seems to be a bit away from the center of cabarete. How far is the walk from kite beach hotel to stores,restaraunts, bars, etc? If manageable even in extreme conditions (rainy days into town/druken nights from bars), I may opt for this. Alternatively, I was looking at the cabarete palace condos, which seemed to have some cool ocean front condos as well.

LILAC

Nov 21, 2010
Kite Beach is a great place, I stayed there for a week last summer, and it is a nice 20-30 min walk into Cabarete center during the day. However after a night of partying, it is too far to walk and you will need to pay for a ride (either motoconcho or cab). If you are not a kitesurfer, you are best to stay in town.

While Ocean Dream and Millenium are not in the center of things, it is a short enough walk for night or day. I have also stayed at Olas de Oras which is about the same distance, and I walked along the beach back from the bars each night easily.

You will definitely have a great time! Cabarete is a special place- great mix of locals, ex-pats and tourists. I guarantee you will love it!