Art Galleries -- Artists?

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Hi: Can anyone suggest names of art galleries in the capital? If you have suggestions of names of artists - that would be good.

blucaribe

Jan 10, 2011
Gallery Juan Mayi-a well-known and talented Dominican Contemporary artist. He currently has 8 works on display at the Museum of Modern Art in Sto Dgo. His gallery is located in the colonial city: Arzo Bispo Portes #120 If you are looking for contemporary art, and want to wander around the zona colonial, its a great place to begin.809-688-7038 gallery phone #. He speaks only spanish

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It really depends what you like. Here are a few I can think of:

IRIS PEREZ
Iris has a gallery on Parque Col?n in the Colonial Zone, the grandly named Laboratorio Evolutivo de Arte Contemporaneo with works by other artists as well as her own.

Antonio Guadalupe - Inicio - Antonio Guadalupe - modern folk influenced art.

raquel paiewonsky - very cutting edge, twice-winner of the Leon Jimenes art prize. Her work and that of other young artists can be viewed at:
LyleOreitzel

Arte San Ram?n on Avenida Lincoln - a variety of high quality artwork and photography.

Arawak, Arawak Arte Contemporaneo - Arte en Santo Domingo - Republica Dominicana - Artes Plasticas

Casa de Teatro on Arz Meri?o esq Portes in the Colonial Zone holds regular exhibitions, also the Centro Cultural de Espa?a nearby.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I bought a Kutty Reyes the last year before we left the island. You might want to look at his work, I know he has some for sell in online sites - not sure about where his work would sell in the DR. I bought mine after he painted it during the day as a demonstration piece for the students at the school where I was teaching so I was able to get a photo of him with the painting and my kids which was nice.

Good luck on finding a piece of art to enrich your life.

Aug 19, 2004
I like the works of Candido Bido - he had an art gallery south of the national palace in Gazcue, Santo Domingo and I assume that this is still open.

His paintings are beyond my price range but there are many prints etc avialble.