Schengen Visa to Sweden/Europe

HannaSW

Apr 5, 2011
My dominican boyfriend has applied for a Schengen tourist visa in March 2011.

The whole process took 6 weeks. 3 Weeks to get the appointment at the Spanish embassy (since Sweden dont have a Embassy in DR), and after it took 3 weeks to get the answer. He got denied.

Now, I wonder if anyone else has been through the same or similar experience and what you had to do to get approved. I?ve read alot of threads and it seems like it shouldn't be that hard to get a tourist visa for Europe.

They denied it because they think there?s a chance that he wouldnt return to DR. Thats the only reason why they denied it.

We had all the papers in order and he has a reference person here in Sweden as well. It all seems very strange.

Also, the Spanish embassy is very hard to contact. Not answering the phone what so ever.:tired:

We got the appointment for the interview by contacting the lawyer right next to the Spanish embassy in SD. It cost around 2000 pesos for the time.

Now they want him to write a letter to the Spanish embassy so that they can start over with the process, IF they find a reason to go over it again.

What are your suggestions?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo has got his visa in spanish embassy few times (going to spain and later on going to poland; no polish embassy in DR).
appoinment is made by calling their paid line (few hundred pesos per call, i cannot remember). then interview in SD and then again a visit in the embassy to pick up the passport. i am baffled as to why did you use a lawyer and what did he charge for exactly? :ermm:

in any case, a rate of "no " answers is quite high. rejection can be disputed if the reason was a mistake in paperwork but "not likely to come back" is not likely to be changed, i am affraid. still, they have a "complains" window in the embassy. what you can do is set up all the papers again with as much as you can proving your bf has anything of value in DR. then call, make an appoinment and try to resolve it.

in theory any schengen country can give you a visa but in DR one should apply either in the country of arrival (destination of the plane) or in the country where one is going to spend most of the time. you could try applying by sending paperwork to the swedish embassy that is responsible for DR (colombia, venezuela or mexico, usually).

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Not having strong enough ties to the DR is the no.1 reason that most get denied to any country.

jari841

Feb 20, 2011
What is he doing in the DR (working/studying)? The stronger ties he has to DR, the easier to get a "yes". In case he can obtain some sort of official document stating his occupation in the DR, this would be a good thing in the interview.

Have you written to the embassy, or the consulate of Sweden, as to the requirements etc.? Perhaps the consulate could help you?

Embassies of Sweden based in Stockholm, The Caribbean - Dominican Republic

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The reason that so many no answers are given is that there are so many Dominicans that overstay their visas. The applicant has to supply information that has extremely compelling reasons that they will return to the DR. A good job, a long standing well funded bank account, property ownership and immediate family in the DR. If you boyfriend failed on the first try, he is very likely to fail on subsequent attempts.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
My brother and his wife went on a long trip to Scandinavia and Spain (they spent most of the time in Sweden) early this year, they applied for a visa at the German consulate. I don't know why.

I visit Denmark regularly but as of lately (since I live in the boonies) I send my passport to the Danish consulate in Mexico city. By now it is mostly a no questions asked process (well, except the form). Ask the nearest Swedish consulate if they can process his application.