First timer, wants to move

PDXGURL

Apr 8, 2011
I am newly registered to this site and found it while doing random searches on the Dominican Republic.

I am an American strongly considering a move to the DR. It has started as a daydream and I am now trying to learn everything that I can and plan accordingly. Setting a realistic time-line in mind of a year to three, I hope that this site can help me meet some people and make transitioning more pleasant! I know that there are so many things that I haven't even considered yet, so any suggestions or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Some details about me. I am 34, widowed (2 years now), a cancer-survivor (just over a year), and a mother. One daughter (18) will be staying in the states, the other daughter (16) may stay or come to the DR, but will most definitely have my son (8) with me. My interest in the DR is for a more simple life, getting back to the basics of humanity, and enjoying the environment not so clobbered by materialistic ideals. I know that there is so much more to come to the DR for and I hope to experience it all. I know not one soul that lives there, but would love to make some internet friends that know some of the "ropes" and wouldn't mind sharing experiences with me. Meeting once I arrive would be a tremendous bonus!

I would love to know about schools there, elementary and college levels. I have worked mostly in customer service, management, and then went to a vocational school and am a licensed massage therapist. A career change would be welcomed and I am not all particular about what it be as long as it can pay the bills. I have thought about returning to school, not sure if it is possible to leave the US, arrive there and go to school, but would be amazing if it were possible. In the meantime, I know to be working on my Spanish!

So, any takers? :)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am newly registered to this site and found it while doing random searches on the Dominican Republic.

I am an American strongly considering a move to the DR. It has started as a daydream and I am now trying to learn everything that I can and plan accordingly. Setting a realistic time-line in mind of a year to three, I hope that this site can help me meet some people and make transitioning more pleasant! I know that there are so many things that I haven't even considered yet, so any suggestions or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Some details about me. I am 34, widowed (2 years now), a cancer-survivor (just over a year), and a mother. One daughter (18) will be staying in the states, the other daughter (16) may stay or come to the DR, but will most definitely have my son (8) with me. My interest in the DR is for a more simple life, getting back to the basics of humanity, and enjoying the environment not so clobbered by materialistic ideals. I know that there is so much more to come to the DR for and I hope to experience it all. I know not one soul that lives there, but would love to make some internet friends that know some of the "ropes" and wouldn't mind sharing experiences with me. Meeting once I arrive would be a tremendous bonus!

I would love to know about schools there, elementary and college levels. I have worked mostly in customer service, management, and then went to a vocational school and am a licensed massage therapist. A career change would be welcomed and I am not all particular about what it be as long as it can pay the bills. I have thought about returning to school, not sure if it is possible to leave the US, arrive there and go to school, but would be amazing if it were possible. In the meantime, I know to be working on my Spanish!

Where would you be moving? I lived in Santiago almost 2 years with my kids and will be returning when my oldest goes to college. I have 3 other children. I will still be in school when I return but I am a Nurse so I will be doing the majority on line. If you are moving to Santiago, let me know. If not, I don't know much about living in other parts of the country

SHALENA

PDXGURL

Apr 8, 2011
Where would you be moving? I lived in Santiago almost 2 years with my kids and will be returning when my oldest goes to college. I have 3 other children. I will still be in school when I return but I am a Nurse so I will be doing the majority on line. If you are moving to Santiago, let me know. If not, I don't know much about living in other parts of the country

SHALENA

Hi Shalena,

Thanks for the reply!! I haven't decided exactly where I want to live there, yet. I was hoping to gain more insight to where is good and learn more as I go. Like I said, I won't be making the move for a while. I want to save up enough to live off of while I figure out what I will be doing for work/school.

Can you tell about living in Santiago? What must someone bring in per month to live comfortably? I thought about going the online route for school too. Staying in the DR, getting a US education online while still receiving grant and financial aid through Dept. of Ed. Does online schooling work out well for you? It may be possible that I could bring in enough through financial aid and what I get already on a monthly basis, to live quite well. I am just not sure of the ups and downs is all. Any insight you have to share is greatly appreciated!

Looking through the posts here, it also appears that private school is the only way to go for kids too. Do you know anything about the schooling there? There are new options for kids to go to school online here in the states, even k-12. I don't know how they would feel about students living outside of the country doing that though. Worth checking into.

Looking forward!

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Continuation

Homeschooling is good too!
Children are free from fascist teachers and do very well.
S.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

would you awfully mind getting your own thread for that?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My advice: No beach communities unless Puerto Plata.
Set up shop as massage therapist through some orthopedic doctors who can recommend you.
Do some pro-bono at the local Rehabilitaci?n place for kids and adults that have disabilities--you'll make contacts and friends.
Places like Santiago have better medical and education opportunities than any of the beach communities.
Figure on a mimimum of about 1000 dollars a month for no-frill living for you. Add another 500=700 for your child.

And go really slow on this move. Do not try to resolve everything over the internet. Come down, meet a few people. Get a feel for the place.
Never, ever date a Dominican (male or female) until you have been here for a year, and realize what is what. (Harsh, yes, but true? Also yes)

Never make this move for "love" ....it would be terrible.

Get to know the people and places. You will get a lot of help from those that live here. But pick and choose.

HB

PDXGURL

Apr 8, 2011
My advice: No beach communities unless Puerto Plata.
Set up shop as massage therapist through some orthopedic doctors who can recommend you.
Do some pro-bono at the local Rehabilitaci?n place for kids and adults that have disabilities--you'll make contacts and friends.
Places like Santiago have better medical and education opportunities than any of the beach communities.
Figure on a mimimum of about 1000 dollars a month for no-frill living for you. Add another 500=700 for your child.

And go really slow on this move. Do not try to resolve everything over the internet. Come down, meet a few people. Get a feel for the place.
Never, ever date a Dominican (male or female) until you have been here for a year, and realize what is what. (Harsh, yes, but true? Also yes)

Never make this move for "love" ....it would be terrible.

Get to know the people and places. You will get a lot of help from those that live here. But pick and choose.

HB

Thank you HB!! That is awesome information, giving me quite a bit to go on and look into with some insight!

@DV8, sorry for not posting in the "right" place for you, I am new and still getting the feel. I actually thought that the original poster of the thread might reply and we would possibly communicate. My apologies for not following a particular protocol???