info on avis car rental at sdq

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Hello looking to rent an economy car in SDQ thru Avis. Wondering what kind of car is actually given,
If the economy is not avaliable, will I be upgraded without a charge. I know this forum talk more
about non traveler topics but I trust dr1 members replies .

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've rented from Avis the last couple of years, even what they consider full size cars are tiny. We've never been upgraded, last year we rented a full size car and they gave us a Kia Rio! That being said, their service is good and we used them again this year for a 2 month rental. First car was lousy, noisy front end and steering made noises - we went back with it and they gave us a different car that was great, we kept it the rest of the two months.

AE

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
tanks for reply. I want to use avis but national has better rates. does national have a location is the samana area, I believe avis does.

Gemcee

Dec 30, 2009
just rented from Alamo in january..picked up a Nissan tiida @ the airport..dunno if that helps...got us everywhere but would go for something a lil bigger next time.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
National is a good company too. We used them for years, so many that the employees knew us by sight.

If you prefer Avis, see if someone you know has an Entertainment Book [assuming you're in the US] because there is a coupon in there worth 25% off. You enter a code on the website when you book, they didn't even ask us for the coupon in DR. It got us a full size car for a month for a little over $800 for each month [we kept it for two].

If you're flying AA and you book Avis through American Airlines' website, and you have a Frequent Flyer #, you'll get a 25% discount there too. If it wasn't for the Avis discounts, we would have stayed with National.

AE

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
I have to try the ebook coupon national is doing 290 for 8 avis doing 330. I prefer avis
For numerous locations if I break down but going for the low price.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have to try the ebook coupon national is doing 290 for 8 avis doing 330. I prefer avis
For numerous locations if I break down but going for the low price.

If you have a way to get to the capital, and pick up the car on the malecon [next door to Vesuvio Restaurant], it saves the airport tax - I think that's 10%. Of course, if you then have to pay round trip cab fare to the airport, it defeats the purpose. We have family who transport us...

AE

I'd been renting from Avis for many years, I prefer Avis because of location, service and their response to any issue. I once had a flat tire, they deducted the amount from the final bill w/o question. They also have promptly replace my vehicle when I made the request in a few occasions.

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
Avis in Santo Domingo are good, helpful. They gave me a bigger car than I had booked, though I wish i could hire a small car with a manual gearbox, something not available in DR, too much Yankee influence I suppose.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I just returned a car this morning to Europcar in Santo Domingo. Was a Mitsubishi LX, nice size, good on gas. Cost me $RD3.775 with absolute cover, no charge at all should I have a ding, windscreen, tyre, breakdown, theft the lot. Leaves you pretty comfy although yeah, $100US seems pretty stiff for a car for a day but I think with rentacar you get what you pay for in service. I can inly advice not to be tempted to use JIFFY from what I've heard, they look pretty up market on the outside but I hear the service is terrible.