Air Canada Departure Tax ???

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Haven't paid the $20 departure tax in YEARS... however it's my first time flying with Air Canada and on the invoice it says a $20 departure tax/pp to be paid there... I called Belairtravel and they said that it's correct... but I don't know if I believe that because other times I've flewn and was told that i'd have to pay the departure tax and didn't...

Anyone fly Air Canada recently ?

P.S - It our 4 year wedding anniversary today... see I have a heart... somewhere deep, deep, deep inside :classic:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I've flown Air Canada a few times, and the departure tax was included in the price of the ticket, and was listed as part of the taxes the airline collects....some friends just flew back to Alberta via Air Canada and didn't pay anything at the airport

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Its air only through Air Canada Vacations... charter... I'll be very surprised if I need to pay... been flying charters (Skyservice (obviously not anymore), Canjet, Transat) and not paying... the only time I've had to pay was with Skyservice and that was maybe 2 occasions out of I don't know how many flights with them...

Now another question... Our son is half Dominican (born in Canada)... would we have to pay for him if there is this stupid tax ?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Every man, woman or child if they have a ticket pay the tax. Sometimes it is included in your ticket price (most scheduled airlines) or some times not (many charter). But one way or another everyone holding a ticket pays....

Bob K

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
He has to pay too unless he has his Dominican passport or birth certificate.

Everybody has to pay the Exit Tax even us Dominican. What we Dominican don't have pay is for the Tourist Card. Her son will have to pay for the Tourist Card if the father of her son hasn't registered him as a Dominican Citizen.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
How much are the total taxes?

If it is similar to the other companies, the departure fee should be included, unless it's Sunwing.

Sometimes Air Canada taxes to the DR are a lot less than the others, like around $200, so I would not expect the departure fee to be included.
This is much better than paying $388 in taxes and not having to pay $20 US to get out.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Haven't paid the $20 departure tax in YEARS... however it's my first time flying with Air Canada and on the invoice it says a $20 departure tax/pp to be paid there... I called Belairtravel and they said that it's correct... but I don't know if I believe that because other times I've flewn and was told that i'd have to pay the departure tax and didn't...

Anyone fly Air Canada recently ?

P.S - It our 4 year wedding anniversary today... see I have a heart... somewhere deep, deep, deep inside :classic:

I flew down on AC from Ottawa to POP in January and before that in August and never had to pay the departure tax because it was included in the price. Prior to that, I flew on Continental and it was included in the price. I had to pay it once when I flew with a charter company through Go Travel South. We were advised at the time we booked that we would have to pay in cash in US funds. I've noticed some recent adds through Air Canada Vacations that specified the departure tax to be paid etc... Perhaps there is a difference when you book direct through the airline vs through aircanada vacations? Just in case, either way, I'd keep $20 aside. I'm flying down with West Jet in June and I'm curious as to whether or not it's included. I'd better find out out before I go. Happy anniversary and enjoy your trip. Cheers. Shiraz.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Departure tax is included in West Jet flights. Just flew West Jet right before Christmas and it was included.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I had flown couple of times in Air Canada and the departure tax was included with the ticket. I am not sure if you are flying in
Air Canada Jaaz, which is a chartered airlines.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
tink I know WJ does... but I was asking for AC

HumbleHindu... I doubt it's Jazz... they're planes are small this one is a A320 i believe...