Work, safety & salary

waynton12

Apr 26, 2011
Hi all!
I know that there are many threads on this subject, but I hope
you can forgive me if I write these most common asked questions.
I have just few questions about Santo Domingo. :)
I got business offer to work there, but i have few issues. There
are lots of stories about people being robbed, etc, but I do know that
newspapers tend to make things bigger than they usually are.
but still, these stories rings few bells, that you can't shake off easily. :(

a) what can I get for USD 2900$ starting monthly salary?
Is that enough for comfortable living for 2 persons?
(we get medical insurance covered by the company).

b) How much is apartment rent?
One says 250$, the other one 800$, 3 bedroom apartment
with big kitchen, 2 bathrooms and pool 1100$...
But how much would cost a small apartment in nice area with bedroom, living
room and ONE bathroom, fully accommodated?
Could you add a link for most popular website to search for apartment?
(spanish or english, it does not matter).

c) Is utilities bill (electricity, gas, water, etc) included in rent or is it not?
Some says it includes certain stuff, the others say it includes just rent.
How much would be my top utility bill? I know that it depends, but let's
say that I do not care how much electricity I use, or how much water\gas I spend.
Let's pretend that I use it all as much as possible.:ermm:

d) Some people say santo domingo is safe, some say it is not.I believe it is
as safe as any big city. However, every big city has names for parts of town,
what parts of Santo Domingo should I avoid? :eek:
And what are the best places to rent apartment?

e) All articles say "try not to look like tourist. Do not wear jewelry, camera,short pants...".
So, if I have Esprit watch that costs 100 euro am I gonna be marked as tourist?
Or what if I bring with me average digital camera to shoot photos?
Or what if I use Iphone 4 or Ipad in public? According to
all these stupid articles, you can only walk on streets without money in your pocket,
can't use credit card because they will steal number and use it, and Dominican
residents do not use rings, necklases, watches and they certainly do not know what is
cell phone, and if you use anything like that on street everybody will look at you and try to
steal all that from you. And they do not wear short pants on 30 degrees Celsius :)
Now, since this is nonsense could somebody explain what I can and what I can't use,
and how not to look like tourist? :ermm:

f) What do people men when they say that there are lots of scams and frauds?
If I buy thing in normal shop with my card, am I gonna find out that somebody
copied my credit card and spent
few thousand of dollars?
(I know that I am paranoid freak at this moment :disappoin:disappoin:disappoin:paranoid:)

g) How much costs a new car?
Nothing special, average car (renault clio, ford focus, anything like that).
Or how much would cost 5-10 year old car, same class as mentioned above? :nervous:

i) is there any significant difference between prepaid and post paid mobile service?
How much costs 1 mine of call to same or other network? What is the cheapest network?
Do they have options like 100 MB of traffic for 5$ or something like that?
How much costs blackberry service?

j) How much costs used iphone 4?
Could you give me a link to most popular ads site? :)

k) How much would cost 2 big pizzas and 4 0.5l beers in decent restaurant? :)

l) How much 2 person would spend on groceries?
Let's say that they buy only domestic products (eggs, yogurt, bread, vegetables,fruits).

m) How much costs ticket to baseball\basketball football game?

n) How much costs car registration and car registration test? and repair? :)

o) Is traffic situation as chaotic as written? Is it true if you're involved in accident you
will end up in police station and stay there until everything is checked?
Is it true that they tend to favor motorcyclists?

p) What kind of prisons are there?
(in the case that somebody puts my name on bag with drugs and I end up in prison
for 12 years like the Australian guy in Cuba (or Porto Rico) 20 years ago :nervous::nervous:)

I guess that's it!
Sorry for that many questions! I do not have much time so I can't search forum for answers.
At some points this post can sound aggressive, but it's not. I tend to fool around a lot, and I like sarcasm :)
But I'm not being sarcastic much in unknown area :)

Thank you all for your answers :)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Seriously, are you manic right now? You know they have meds for that.
Maybe someone has an hour to kill to answer all of tour questions. Seeing as I'm on my phone, and can't text as quickly as most, it won't be me.
Good Luck

SHALENA

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Have you ever visited the DR before??? If not perhaps you should come down or over and see for yourself first hand....be that tourist first....

waynton12

Apr 26, 2011
Manic? No, just confused with DR in general :)
Their culture is so much different than European.
I do not have much time to "study" it, and to be honest I am
a little bit scared because I've never been in society like that.
I know this long post is pointless and probably nobody will answer it
(and I found some answers already :)), but I asked anyway.
A short answer like "you'll be good with that salary, car costs 310 000 pesos,
utilities are not included, you'll pay 10 000 pesos if you don't pay attention to
electricity usage..." would be perfect.

Actually people are giving me the creeps, because I think they are friendly and nice
but since we grew up in different cultures I do not know what can offend them.
I am a polite and calm person, but I'm not a person who chit chats a lot.
But if that's what is accepted there, I will learn it. You never know, maybe I'll like it.
But then, nobody can tell you that. That's what you learn on the way :)

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Yes it is enough salary if you dont go nuts.

500 to 600 US is a small one bedroom furnished and up! What area are you working in? Santo Domingo is big and you may want to live fairly close to work.

Nice areas - there are lots. tell use where you will work first.

Utilities are rarely included, most expensive will be electric,the rest are reasonably inexpensive.

Like all big cities world wide there are safe and unsafe areas.Once here you will learn your way around.I can recommend a guide to help you out.

Dont' go out with tons of expensive jewellery and flashing expensive cameras. Take it easy when you are first here,learn your way around, adapt to the culture and you will soon learn what to do and not to do. For examples locals never wear shorts out and around the city. Shorts are for the beach.

I won't comment on credit card fraud as I don't know much. I prefer to use cash.

Dont' buy a new car - sets you up as having money and is a waste - buy a gently used car. AND they drive like maniacs here that new car will get crashed into.

You need to do lots of searching and reading on this site. A lot of your questions are covered already. You will likely opt for prepaid cell service unless they provide you a phone . Bring your unlocked Iphone with you, they are more expensive here.

Pizza and beer - depends where you go. But it is not that expensive and if you invite me then I will know.......

We have a lot of baseball here, competitive league (inexpensive to go to games) - soccer in the neighborhoods, basketball in the neighborhoods too.

YES traffic is NUTS.

Prison - you definitely do not want to go there!!!!!!!!!!! Horrible.

GO do lots of reading and come back with more specific questions.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Read what InsanelyOne had to say in his recent post--I think his experience may be what you may experience. You don't have to settle all those things ahead of time, you certainly can live well for that $2,900. You also have an advantage in that you already have that job, and most likely someone in a managerial type position in that company will be of help (a peer). Of course, professional Dominicans have what you have (cell phones, watches, credit cards etc.) and when you befriend them, they'll steer you clear of the "really bad" places. (Though eventually you'll be tempted to take a few trips to the wild side.) If someone would offer me a similar starting salary in the DR tomorrow, I'd take it. It's difficult to find jobs like that there. Too many foreigners have problems because they fall in love with the country while at the beach, decide to move, then try to find the job. Having a reasonable job first makes it that much easier. Good luck, read posts from those that are young, working professionals, and go for it!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Seriously, are you manic right now? You know they have meds for that.
Maybe someone has an hour to kill to answer all of tour questions. Seeing as I'm on my phone, and can't text as quickly as most, it won't be me.
Good Luck

SHALENA

Do you talk to patients in this manner?

You really need to learn to train yourself to ignore posts that bother you, you will live longer!

tio tambo'

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
why in the world are you asking about prisons??? if it's really because you're afraid someone will set you up for a drug bust, you are WAY beyond paranoid!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
2,900$ is ten times the average salary in DR (or more), I dont know how many people can reach that salary there. In my opinion, you will be like "rich" there ... Lucky guy!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Do you talk to patients in this manner?

You really need to learn to train yourself to ignore posts that bother you, you will live longer!

tio tambo'

Maybe I do, maybe I don't.
And if I ignored all of them, it wouldn't be as fun cuz I wouldn't get to see people like you get their pants in a knot over me commenting to someone you don't even know.

SHALENA

waynton12

Apr 26, 2011
why in the world are you asking about prisons??? if it's really because you're afraid someone will set you up for a drug bust, you are WAY beyond paranoid!

:)
I know I am being paranoid. sometimes I think very bad about certain places, and when I arrive I figure out
that it's not that at all :)
I know I'm gonna enjoy it, a soon as I learn basics :)

some of you asked what I do. I am a scientists, one company needs my profession
and they pay high because otherwise nobody would want to travel across the world and work there.
It's not DR's company, it's foreign.
It's still not 100% sure if I'm gonna get the job, however, I believe that it's most likely.
I know it's weird to ask questions about everything before I actually got it, but while they are deciding,
I am taking my time to do a little research to figure out where I would be going.
Thank you all for your answers, if I come there, it would be nice to meet you :)

P.S. Roads taking to beaches - how safe are they?