Driving in DR with US-Suspended Licenses (Policia question)

Caribe

May 11, 2011
When Americans visit the Dominican Republic, as I understand, our licenses are valid for a short period of time - based on our dates of entry to the country.

What happens if an American person has a license issued in one of the States (the physical card), but the license has been officially suspended / revoked? The expiration date on the physical license is about 2 years from now.

When this person visits DR on vacation this summer, if this person decided to drive a car and was stopped by the Dominican police, would they attempt to validate it against the US National Driver Registry, or will this illegal driver just hand over a couple hundred DOP and be on their way?

Thanks,

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I don't even think they know how to read a US driver's license. Doesn't matter really. In my experience if you insist on speaking English and don't give in to their requests for money they'll just get frustrated and wave you on. They have limited attention spans here so it doesn't take long.

Caribe

May 11, 2011
I don't even think they know how to read a US driver's license. Doesn't matter really.

This sounds excellent. So, just driving with the "physical license" is good enough and getting that International Driver's Permit from AAA is unnecessary? I mean, even thought the license is revoked/ suspended, someone could get the IDP - they don't validate it either.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
But you are missing a major point. Your insurance will only cover you if your a a licensed driver. If you were to be in a major accident, you would be held until your insurance company guarantees that you are covered. If your insurance checks your license, you're cooked.

Caribe

May 11, 2011
Thanks Belmont,

I did read some previous postings on this site before adding a thread, and it seems that people keep talking about this insurance / accident thing. Are "serious accidents" all that commonplace there? I mean, here in the uSA, we hardly ever have serious accidents. And, when I arrive, I can just get a DR license in due course... which, from what I've read, is as soon as I get my residencia temporal.

By the way, are there any rental car companies that are not US-based over there?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
There are lots of alcohol related accidents, lots of Moto accidents and if you don't speak Spanish you will regret having an accident.
The major rental car companies are Franchises owned locally.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Thanks Belmont,

I did read some previous postings on this site before adding a thread, and it seems that people keep talking about this insurance / accident thing. Are "serious accidents" all that commonplace there? I mean, here in the uSA, we hardly ever have serious accidents. And, when I arrive, I can just get a DR license in due course... which, from what I've read, is as soon as I get my residencia temporal.

By the way, are there any rental car companies that are not US-based over there?

If you are a gringo, any and all accidents are "serious". Are they commonplace? With the number of motos on the road, and the fact that you will be at fault even if they broadside you, yes they are commonplace.
Ever hear of anyother country where you are advised to purchase "casa de conductor" coverage on your policy so that you will be held in a "hotel" rather that jail until the accident is sorted out???
In the event of an accident, you can expect the "victim", his lawyer and the investigating police will have to be compensated.
As far as renting from a non-US based company, again, all will be fine until an accident occurs. The insurance company will take 30 seconds to run your license and deny coverage if it comes back suspended.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Don't do it to yourself. If there's one thing you don't want to be a part of in the Dominican Republic, it's the law. There is no rhyme or reason here. As an outsider, you can really live through a terrible experience.

I've read that traffic accidents are the 3rd leading cause of death in the Dominican Republic. That is scary.

If you get into a serious accident and someone gets hurt or killed, the fact that you have a suspended license, and shouldn't have been driving in the first place, just compounds your problem.

Caribe

May 11, 2011
Okay, can I hire someone with licenses to drive for me? A chauffeur?

Maybe I will rent a car and then hire a driver. I am totally not the public transportation type.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I see no reason why you can't do that. Expact to have to may him $RD2,000 per day inc gas. If you rent your own car then RD$1.500 at least so will be cheaper to use his car. If a new car then expect to pay much more. These are prices drivers will charge you from the Capital. At least!!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
You'd just rent the car under the name of the driver surely?
Not unless he has a credit card to guarantee it. You will need to rent it under your name and have him added as an additional driver. If this chofer doesn't have his own car, he certainly won't have a credit card to rent a car.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Interesting, I can't see why someone would not beable to pay and secure the car for someone else.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would NEVER rent a car with the intention of having a local drive it. That is unless I knew them very well etc.

Rent a car and driver by the day. Lots of posts on here naming drivers with cars, phone numbers etc.