Sosua News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting info on Sosua in today's Sosua News:

"The spokesman for the tourist police (Politur) in Sos?a Colonel Enmanuel Antonio Fern?ndez Tapia said during a press conference that the problem of prostitution in our beach town is under control. There have recently been arrested 247 people, mostly women and some street vendors and five foreigners. The action is not limited to Sos?a, as the colonel told us, but Cabarete, Rio San Juan and Cabrera are also strictly controlled. The colonel said that many employers and local associations praised the work of Politur. Then he referred to plans to redesign the beach town by a group of students from the University of Santo Domingo which have been presented at City Hall of Sos?a recently. The students came (with a slide show) with proposals to build a cinema, discotheque, supermarket, taxi station and other possibilities for the beach town.

The mayor Ilana Neumann and the Politur, were very enthusiastic about these proposals. According to Ilana Neumann these plans will achieve that Sos?a becomes a more attractive tourist destination."

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting info on Sosua in today's Sosua News:

"The spokesman for the tourist police (Politur) in Sos?a Colonel Enmanuel Antonio Fern?ndez Tapia said during a press conference that the problem of prostitution in our beach town is under control. There have recently been arrested 247 people, mostly women and some street vendors and five foreigners. The action is not limited to Sos?a, as the colonel told us, but Cabarete, Rio San Juan and Cabrera are also strictly controlled. The colonel said that many employers and local associations praised the work of Politur. Then he referred to plans to redesign the beach town by a group of students from the University of Santo Domingo which have been presented at City Hall of Sos?a recently. The students came (with a slide show) with proposals to build a cinema, discotheque, supermarket, taxi station and other possibilities for the beach town.

The mayor Ilana Neumann and the Politur, were very enthusiastic about these proposals. According to Ilana Neumann these plans will achieve that Sos?a becomes a more attractive tourist destination."
There are fewer hookers on the streets during the day. Luckily they seem to be letting them operate in the discos at night. (Or we would have no tourists at all) As for the other proposed items, except for the cinema, we have everything else. She should be putting her energy into getting rid of the motoconchos and controlling the noise. Sorting out the traffic problems, opening parking areas, making Pedro Clisante pedestrian (Calle Duarte in BC is a prime example) Getting businesses to clean up their street front. Etc.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
According to Ilana Neumann. These plans will achieve that Sos?a becomes a more attractive tourist destination."

"Build it and they will come"

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
Nice to see students designing a tourist town! What is the vision based on....what Dominican tourists want in a town or what foreign tourists want in a town? Hopefully it is the latter, so ideally these plans should be posted on-line for comments from all sides of the tourist industry. I don't think foreign tourists will be hopping on the next plane rushing to town to see a supermarket or cinema.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I tried to contact the members from UMPC-SOSUA and Carolina G?mez Muniz through Sosua News Editors about the article on Plans for Sosua published on 23rd March but got no response. Sos?a-News It would be great if these plans were made public. There have been several meetings about Sosua Sos?a-News but nothing ever seems to come of it .
It seems unlikely that there would be any publication but it would be a useful starting point.

Olly

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I'm not so sure they're not referring to the UASD suggestions presented several months ago.

"If" they wanted to do it right, they'd bring in some true consultants with a proven track record.
Cost more up front, cost less and worth more in the long run. But that's of course not the mindset at this latitude.

Olly... you're getting excited about suggestions from UASD undergrad students? :rolleyes:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fy6z8i095Nw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
CFA123 - Thanks for that - I can see why you suggested I get excited!!! LOL

Olly

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
Good to see the multi-million dollar tourism industry put in the hands of students. I assume that they are using their years of experience and learnings from visiting other global tourist destinations to good use in the design process for Sosua.

I predict a waste of money doing projects nobody will want but look good on paper.

globe-trotter

Apr 8, 2011
I wish the students the best, but I kinda question building a supermarket as a way to attract tourists. IMO.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I wish the students the best, but I kinda question building a supermarket as a way to attract tourists. IMO.

I don't think Sosua needs another supermarket. Sounds like this was a project for a group of university students and the reported positive comments of the mayor no more than the sort of encouragement you and I would give them if we were in her shoes.

globe-trotter

Apr 8, 2011
I don't think Sosua needs another supermarket. Sounds like this was a project for a group of university students and the reported positive comments of the mayor no more than the sort of encouragement you and I would give them if we were in her shoes.

Building another supermarket might cause more problems like putting family run stores out of business because they can't compete with a supermarket (ex Walmart)

Sorry for a silly question, but does Sosua have any parks?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Just when we thought it couldn't get worse. Tonight Politur were all over the place. 4 at the entrance of Clasico plus others all over PC, arresting all the "chicas". A lot of p*ssed off tourists. But let's not worry, next year they will be back with their families to go to the movies and supermarket. :)

globe-trotter

Apr 8, 2011
Dang. At this rate the normal girls are going to be too scared to go to the club and party without being accused of being a working girl by the politur.

At this rate the only folks that's going to be at the clubs are men and the bartenders. Lol :(

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i guess you need to bring your own party to PC rather than looking for one. agreed ? :laugh:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Wonder what would happen if they arrest some female tourists at the club accusing them of being working girls.

Nothing would happen. As long as the female didn't get roughed up or worse. The authorities would apologize and shrug their shoulders. What's the tourist to do? Hire a Dominican lawyer? Extend their vacation to go to court in the DR?

Their inconsistanicies and their tactics are kinda crappy, but it is the plan. They want the girls to move on, and the gringos will move on as well.

"They" want a different Sosua, and it looks like they might be achieving it. If you (meaning those getting all excited about it) don't like the new Sosua, then you have to decide to maybe go somewhere else. No reason to get all worked up over it.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Brilliant!

Nothing would happen. As long as the female didn't get roughed up or worse. The authorities would apologize and shrug their shoulders. What's the tourist to do? Hire a Dominican lawyer? Extend their vacation to go to court in the DR?

Their inconsistanicies and their tactics are kinda crappy, but it is the plan. They want the girls to move on, and the gringos will move on as well.

"They" want a different Sosua, and it looks like they might be achieving it. If you (meaning those getting all excited about it) don't like the new Sosua, then you have to decide to maybe go somewhere else. No reason to get all worked up over it.

Like visiting the rest of the DR because the girls are everywhere.:classic:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Wonder what would happen if they arrest some female tourists at the club accusing them of being working girls.

Wouldn't happen. The cops can tell the difference. As for a new Sosua, don't hold your breath. Sosua is a tourist destination and there are only 2 things it can offer "Great beaches and great bitches". I understand some people, myself included, would like to see it differently however the bottom line is that Sosua has nothing else to offer. There are much more important issues to address. Getting rid of the hookers is way down on the list. I guess that's what you get for electing a woman as Mayor. Mea Culpa.

globe-trotter

Apr 8, 2011
So they want to make Sosua a family destination? Are there enough family activites in Sosua to keep them going to nearby cities like Puerto Plata and other places?

Status
Not open for further replies.