My trip to Tubagua

worldbalance

Mar 16, 2011
Tubagua:

Very quaint, very far away from Puerto Plata, but extremely comfortable and the view certainly makes up for everything. Tim, the landlord, was very accommodating and helped us arrange activities such as hiking. Hiking actually was VERY nice as we were led to virtually untouched fields and waterfalls. This is a definitely gem of the area.

Puerto Plata:

One day, we decided to go to Puerto Plata using only public transportation. It went wrong right away when we headed south without knowing toward Yasica. Good thing a roadside "mechanic" helped us and hailed an empty guagua as it went by. Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted by someone in a yellow shirt with what seemed like a government issued ID saying that he is a hired tour guide for Puerto Plata. The kicker was that he said we shouldn't give him any money -- fair enough, but I had my suspicions. He took us to all the places we wanted to go (a decent restaurant, an Orange store to get a SIM card and shopping for souvenirs) and in the end, asked us if we had any money to help his starving child. :ermm: Whatever, I believed it was a good investment. However, since I know the area a bit better now, I would just turn him and his cronies down if they approach me in the future.

Coming back on a guagua was fun as it was my first time getting packed in with 20 other people. :cheeky: Then got off at the Gran Parada where we -- two people -- haggled a motoconcho to 150 pesos (ugh, still overpaid, but better than the ridiculous 250 pesos he offered).

We only stayed for four days, so we relaxed half the time (unlike other visitors who burnt themselves out trying to do too many things in one day). All in all, a great day. I left out a good deal of other details, but I feel like this post sums up my trip. Good times! :D

TheExpert

Sep 13, 2011
www.dreamridelimousines.com.au
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
It is a fantastic place to relax and forget about the rest of the world, up high in the mountains surrounded by forest with an amazing view of the ocean. Tubagua has become one of my favorite hideaways on the North Coast since its inception.

A

Atlee

Hiking in Tubagua is a great experience of mine. It?s a very peaceful place. I got different type of unique plants over there like which I never saw before but the over all trip was lovely.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Ahhhhh Tubagua. I will never forget that name.

On my first trek up to the north coast, Google maps showed me DR25 as the "shortest route" from Santiago to Sosua/POP.

The gps guidance voice was so sweet, helpful....and evil. I cursed her the whole way as I proceeded to lose a filling and almost drive off a mountain cliff twice. Yea, don't drive there at night!!! I needed better headlights... and some TP when the trip was done.

I don't think I can say that name without causing myself some gastronomical distress :speechles