credit cards

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
buenos dias amegos..........a brief question ! I just read an articl in the news relating to credit /debit cards.....Americans traveling abroad may have trouble using their cards due to the initiation of the new smart cards in many parts of the world. Can anyone advise about the RD ? have they initiated this in the Dominican Republic also ?

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Normally, no. The problem is having your card cloned or information copied and used elsewhere.

It's happened to me here several times. In fact just this week I got a call crom my cc company that it's happened again...and I never even used the card in the DR.

You're better off using cash if you can. Lowers the risk of cc fraud.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Normally, no. The problem is having your card cloned or information copied and used elsewhere.

It's happened to me here several times. In fact just this week I got a call crom my cc company that it's happened again...and I never even used the card in the DR.

You're better off using cash if you can. Lowers the risk of cc fraud.

CB, thanks for the input but isn't it adding risk to carry cash around ? geesh, what a world we live in , damned if you do, damned if you don't.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Another thing to remember to do if you are traveling is to notify your CC company where you are going. Otherwise there is a good chance that when they see a bunch of charges from a foreign country they will freeze the card until they can reach you. And most likely will not be able to get in touch with you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Another thing to remember to do if you are traveling is to notify your CC company where you are going. Otherwise there is a good chance that when they see a bunch of charges from a foreign country they will freeze the card until they can reach you. And most likely will not be able to get in touch with you.

If you read the above article , you will find that even after notifying of travel plans, the card can be rejected.....its not foolproof.

I carry a foreign card for travel and leave my domestic card for domestic use.
It is also possibel (w/ Chase) to put a block on Internet purchases.

After too many card compromises, I put the block on...... my main card is now more difficult to scam.

FWIW