Recall this later...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC GOVT ISSUES CASHLESS BENEFITS
By Rahul Joshi | 11 July 2011

The Social Subsidies Administration (ADESS) of the Dominican Republic, as a part of the Solidaridad programme, has been distributing benefits cashlessly, and now serves food, fuel and education rations to over 800,000 people.

In conjunction with local financial institutions and Visa*keep in your head the new format on security for Credit and banking cards used in the DR*, ADESS provides disbursements on reloadable cards.

Van Elder Espinal Martinez, Director General, ADESS, said: ?The benefits credited onto the Solidaridad Card allow purchases in the small markets located in the poorer areas of our country.?

One of the requirements for merchants to become part of the Solidaridad system is to be as close as possible to the families that need it most, Martinez added. The Card has distributed over 26 billion Pesos since it began in 2004.

?A lot of the costs and risks associated with cash and cheques can be taken out of the system through paperless payments. In emerging markets, we?re looking at financial privileges being extended to the under-banked for the first time, ? said Bill Gajda, Global Head, Visa Mobile.

Gajda stressed the potential of mobile payments as the next step forward from cashless, card-based payments, especially as mobile penetration far outpaces broadband and internet penetration in developing economies.

?In both sophisticated and in emerging markets, there is a role for mobile in commerce, to include public sector programmes, whether in identification or disbursements.?

In India, a typical emerging market, 92 percent of all consumer-spending is cash-based. While the number of broadband subscribers is only 12.1 million, the number of mobile phone subscribers stands at 771 million. It is projected to hit one billion in 2012, according to statistics released by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.

Rate this article

Dominican Republic Govt Issues Cashless Benefits | Articles | FutureGov - Transforming Government | Education | Healthcare

Orange_White_Megaphone_with_Emergency_Alarm__M_1DA1_.jpg

Like I told you here long ago exclusively on DR1, the DR is establishing a network which is secured and scam proof to move the currency into the electronic age...

What that means is that you'll end up paying the shoe-shiner boy directly to his cell phone, mobile smart CC activated civilian merchant account or directly via a mobile (very low cost) handheld card swiper!

The DR will make your card as safe as they can be in a data centered world. Infinite tokens will make it not only hard to breach security, but will also expose those scammers quickly to law enforcement!

There are two prongs to reach this goal:

#1 To make all those with open banking/card accounts already issued, undertake the new infinite token challenge for added security. This means your card issuers will start to require you to answer new questions for security related data mining. Each bank/issuer must comply by the set deadline agreed when the new security shell was introduced. This roll out was executed in phases, being the most technological advanced banking/issuer's systems the first to execute it. This will allow smaller/legacy institutions the opportunity to see what works and what will need upgrade/changes long before their turn comes up, thus creating a less costlier move to the new token system.

#2 To make non account/card holders open and see the benefits of having one, all the time providing the security that their money will be there regardless of any events. The largest sectors targeted happen to be the lowest economic strata and those in poor economic conditions. They'll be getting the brunt of the new system's efforts to make the adaptation smooth.

A third effort will be made to create a "guest" shell system, where non residents will be able to make use of their credit cards and banking needs whilst visiting the Dominican Republic. This front is now in the talk phase with international partners and the local ACHs for the system.

The e-currency system for the Dominican Republic's Peso is around the corner!

As a back up to the system, cash and coin currency will be only handled by banks alone in the DR. As cash makes their way into and out of accounts, the cash/coins will be collected daily from one bank to a central vault for the routing and account auditing measures. From there they'll be sent to the financial institutions they are required to. This will erase any problems of fraud, book's cooking, embezzlement and most importantly, creates a real safety net in case of a total system failure due to data corruption from hackers or war attacks on the e-money system. Was there to be a complete disruption of the e-money system, the account holders will only need to visit their local branch to request their credits in cash and coin currency with their codified balance books.

This is a
dr1-logo.gif
exclusive release! Nowhere will you read this up in Dominican media!!

:ninja:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
When the current tax package was being discussed, the administration proposed adding a tax to any bank withdrawals over 20,000 pesos, and if I recall correctly, basically said that the motive behind such a tax was to move the economy away from a cash exchange to e-currency. (The words were different, but that seemed to me the gist of the story.)

That certainly adds credibility to Pichardo's assertion.
The banks railed against the measure and it was taken out of the tax legislation.

In the US, I rarely carry cash. But since my bank in the US charges an exchange fee, I try to keep my credit card in my wallet here.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
PICHARDO;987189 What that means is that you'll end up paying the shoe-shiner boy directly to his cell phone said:
Can I have some of the sh*t you're smoking? ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Pichardo we all want the DR to succeed and we don't doubt that the DR will be on a cashless system at some point but we all know it will be sooner rather than later. I suppose the disconnect is that you somehow think it will be soon but history is not on your side. The proof is in the pudding and the one you are selling is past due. :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had little doubt that the DR would be the first country in the world to do such a thing. My doubts are about how successful it will be. I can only go by the rampant credit card fraud here.

In any event, opening a business as a money changer is probably not a good idea at this time. Remittances markets may also change a bit, especially if the only way to send money from the US will be via bank to bank wire transfers.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I can't wait for shoeshine kids, windshield boys, water sellers and coco frio vendors have bank accounts that get whacked a bunch of pesos every month for service charges. There won't be enough tires to burn...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another barrier raised to tourists forced to use e-currency and the associated fees they will be charged to do so.
It will also add a level of traceability to an undercover business popularized on this forum in Sosua and Boca Chica, cum to think of it.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I can't wait for shoeshine kids, windshield boys, water sellers and coco frio vendors have bank accounts that get whacked a bunch of pesos every month for service charges. There won't be enough tires to burn...

That's part of it!

We all know we don't pay the taxes on 99% of what we buy, sell of provide services for here in the DR!

The revenues from automatic tax collections will allow the gov to drop the 29% to biz all across the line, more so if we add the lost revenues from income in the country.

We need this as much as we need 24 hours of power here!

The answer is not to raise taxes, but to ensure that we collect 100% of what's due!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Another barrier raised to tourists forced to use e-currency and the associated fees they will be charged to do so.
It will also add a level of traceability to an undercover business popularized on this forum in Sosua and Boca Chica, cum to think of it.

There'll be "front" spaces for that type of charges, where financial middle companies will offer "discreet" posting of charges to your account. That's to say that a visit to clasico would be something like "pedro's cleaners" or "Supermarket la vuelta"...

That's all been debated already and addressed!

Tourists will have a 100% security system here! They'll be able to enjoy their trip, without worrying about their CC and bank account's security.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I had little doubt that the DR would be the first country in the world to do such a thing. My doubts are about how successful it will be. I can only go by the rampant credit card fraud here.

In any event, opening a business as a money changer is probably not a good idea at this time. Remittances markets may also change a bit, especially if the only way to send money from the US will be via bank to bank wire transfers.

Large remittances corporations like Moneygram, western union and DR based, will see amjor changes into how they carry out their biz here in the future. That's not to say that they'll be out of the xchange biz at all! Just practical changes that will make all things smoother and 100% money laundering free!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Pichardo we all want the DR to succeed and we don't doubt that the DR will be on a cashless system at some point but we all know it will be sooner rather than later. I suppose the disconnect is that you somehow think it will be soon but history is not on your side. The proof is in the pudding and the one you are selling is past due. :)

Its happening now! You just can't tell, because the changes are introduced little by little!

You'll know is just about to hit you big time when you see stores placing some "Debit/Credit/Charge Only" cashiers to their mix.

Once they make people use the new cash free cashiers (based on the premise that there'll be more of them than cash on hand ones) to avoid lines, they'll start to phase out the cash option soon after.

To begin the deployment the most challenging sector was selected! The small biz and mom/pop's stores. They'll get gov assisted card readers and terminals, under the vice of the benefit card system. Once they have a taste of a cash free place of biz that poses no attraction for robberies, they'll not go back to cash! Added to that the use of a new tax auditing system, where they'll be no required to file extra paperwork, as the tax will be collected and audited real time with the DGII..

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

The new token system for credit cards and charge accounts is perfect, and the only one in use today in the world! As all institutions in the DR roll it out, card fraud will be "0" here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is NFC part of the cashless solution?

Is the DR also using NFC for its cashless system?

May 5, 2007
I guarantee either Dallas or St Louis will win the NFL game on Sunday 23 October 2011, no ties.

Remember, you heard it here first!

To keep this DR related, remember you can watch the game at Jaragua and many other places in the DR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A major problem cited in this week's DR1 news was the fact that only 24% of Dominicans even know where a bank is! 76% have nothing to do with banks.

Another issue is the 65% functional illiteracy rate. How do you fill out a bank form for a Debit or CC?? If you can't read it?

I am sorry but this is still pie in the sky. Lovely to look at but not something I can see happening in the anywhere near future?

Hb (Glass half-empty today)

Jan 9, 2004
The new token system for credit cards and charge accounts is perfect, and the only one in use today in the world! As all institutions in the DR roll it out, card fraud will be "0" here.

And then the peso will go to 25:1 as in one of your many other predictions?

Au contraire, card fraud will go up exponentially as people find a way to game the system. And with such a weak, almost non-existent, judicial system, this will usher in a new way for individuals and government to continue to steal from the people. On the bright side, gun sales should decrease as armed robberies will decrease, replaced by computer theft, right?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Listend the lirics of this song, I think it was wrote and dedicated to Pichardo..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CXQ0t1mkxVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JJ

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The song was written and dedicated for Pichardo who is building castles in the air!!!

haha

JJ