New restaurant in Juan Dolio.. GREAT!

sush

Mar 9, 2011
Had a nice dinner yesterday at the new restaurant in Juan Dolio called Alumar.. Is in front of the entrance of hotel Capella... I passed by a couple of times and finally stopped last night, the prices are Ok - i feel some of the stuff are a litle over-priced; compare to the rest of restaurants in JD, the food is GREAT! Is not just the tipical "Italian wanna be" !!! The service is great sometimes they will go to your table TOO much but I?m sure they will improve on that when they are in the business for a little longer.. I will definitely go back as their menu sounds very interesting ( not just the same pasta+ sauce that characterize SOME of the Juan Dolio restaurants); the environment is lovely, we sat on the outside part and it was very quiet and calm it really didn?t feel like you were in one of the most crowed parts of this side of JD- specially at night. A nice experience overall.. Hope Juan Dolio continues growing in this direction.

jui88

Apr 2, 2012
I going to Juan Dolio next month and was looking for some good restaurants I'm glad I found this forum I will try out Alumar when I get there.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Also try "El ConCon",at the far end of the road infront of all the "Highrise Condos lining the beach,"Metro" etc.
Lots of good places along that "strip"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
So does JD qualify as a family orientated place in the evening? Is this a sign it didn't go to sh1t and survived that bad spell? I've been to the beach a few times but never been at night other than driving through trying to find shortcuts back to the main road.
What/where can it compare to as in people, tourist types, locals, bars/restaurants, how busy?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "OLD STRIP" along the beach,where "El Sueno" is located,is pretty "DEAD" at night.A few more Dominicans on Weekends,and PACKED this week for sure.
There are still a few "working girls" strolling along the road,and in the small Bars,but not like in the "BAD/GOOD OL' Days/Nights!
The "NEW STRIP",where all the HUGE HIGHRISE condos are located,road FINALLY paved!,is where all the new restaurants are located.They are not cheap.On Fri. and Sat. nights,LOTS of BIG Yippetas out front.The old crappy places are closed,or soon will be!
I think that Juan Dolio Beach is going to win by default,as the place to go,and even "BUY", on weekends from SD!
My best friend is going to buy in the "Metro Country Club". I can't wait till his town house is finished.
No more "Embassy Suits" all the time!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think that Juan Dolio Beach is going to win by default,as the place to go,and even "BUY", on weekends from SD!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Quite a turn around from what I was hearing a couple of years ago, everyone who owned there was trying to get out saying they had ruined the place, wasn't safe, loads of construction workers part time criminals hanging around, was empty blah blah blah. Sounds like the mist might have cleared and it is a little brighter than first anticipated. Good stuff!

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I ate there last week. The service was outstanding. The food was better than outstanding. As an appetizer we had a seafood platter that was outstanding. I had a lobster linguine that was fantastic. The kids had pizza that that loved. The wife had a grilled lobster that was great too. The owner came out and gave us a lemon liquor with the check.