if no problem with an unlimited overstay, why needed a round plane ticket????

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
quite nonsense then ...

DR government allows you to stay as long as you want in the country without papers and just paying an affordable fine at the airport.

Why then there is no way to enter the island without a returning ticket?

quite odd ...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
quite nonsense then ...

DR government allows you to stay as long as you want in the country without papers and just paying an affordable fine at the airport.

Why then there is no way to enter the island without a returning ticket?

quite odd ...
I have entered the island without a return ticket often.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
any idea why airlines bother you then with having a returning ticket?
I really dont know what to do. I will be there in a couple of months to settle down and dont know if buying a round ticket or just the one to arrive there ...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I've also flown a few times without a return ticket, even from the UK. The airlines make the money by selling a return you don't need and you have to buy another to return so they make a killing, often return tickets anywhere in the world are the same price as singles, just because they can. Check the price of a 3 month return against a 2 week return, you get the real price they are making then.

If you can get a one way and get out of your end you won't get bothered this end, they have nothing to gain by bothering you here.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
you are right anastacio, at least with Air Europa, one way ticket is almost same price than round ticket! crazy ...
Luckily I have seen Condor airline offers one way ticket for the obvious half price of a round one.
Now having to decide if I buy that one way ticket to Condor Airline and fly from Frankfurt.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just buy the one way.... if the airlines wants a return ticket - hopefully, they'll ask you at your purchase and you can abort.

Others may have a different experience but I may have been asked maybe once ( USA and Canada flights).
However i have residency, so am allowed.

May 29, 2006
Airlines hate one way tickets and I've actually bought a round trip ticket because the fare was cheaper than the one way.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Round ticket with Air Europa (Spanish airline) is around 840 euros, one way 750!!!!!!
With Condor airlines a one way ticket is 400 euros, good deal

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
One person on a different thread on this board offered a very wise suggestion:

If you get to the airport and the airline insists you purchase a return ticket, be sure to purchase a REFUNDABLE ticket (which costs more money at the time of purchase). If you purchase the much cheaper non-refundable ticket and you choose to stay, you lose the money. With the refundable ticket, as soon you arrive, you cancel the ticket and your money is refunded. After that, if you decide to leave after a few weeks or few months, you can purchase the non-refundable one-way ticket back home.

What I did was a bit different, in that I purchased a round-trip ticket with a return after two months. By that time, I had an idea of what I wanted from home that I could not easily find here.

(I hate not giving credit, but I have difficulty finding that one post with the search function. If it was your idea about the refundable ticket, please reply so you may take due credit for an excellent suggestion.)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
And the airlines don't see through this? I've not heard of this from Europe, I'm sure it would be a popular choice if possible. Is this an American thing?

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Just purchased a one way ticket from Calgary to El Catey for 252 euros all taxes included. That is eight hours flying time so not exactly a short haul flight. Airfare can be sold reasonably if the airlines are willing.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
And the airlines don't see through this? I've not heard of this from Europe, I'm sure it would be a popular choice if possible. Is this an American thing?

yeap, i have the same doubt, airlines are no stupid ones, that trick looks an easy one to avoid paying round trip, but it is an option! I just have to try if possible to get that kind of ticket

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009

I did some research on it, and I really think it is quite feasible given the American air transportation system. There are a couple of catches, so one must be careful.

To prevent abuse, the airlines refund only once every two to three months, depending on their accounting system. The passenger would have to have a credit limit that would allow for the higher cost of the original ticket and be willing to take a hit on the interest for one month until the refund comes through or pay off the ticket price and deposit the funds when the refund is made.

Basically, it comes down to this: If you have enough money in the bank to cover the cost of the ticket and don't mind a few hundred dollars being unavailable for a couple of months, it is worthwhile. If you don't have a lot of money in the bank and have to watch every small amount very closely, this would not be a prudent move.

That begs the question: if someone doesn't have a reserve fund in place, is relocating to the DR a wise decision? But that is probably best answered in another thread.