Need live-in help in Sousa

Charles Carpenter

Aug 1, 2011
I am purchasing a home in Los Cerros in Sousa and need to hire a caretaker/maid/gardner. They will have the entire ground floor suite and a salary. How do I find a person or a couple without children and what is an appropriate salary? How do I check refferences or get a recommendation?

Thanks

jason2010

May 5, 2010
hi,me and my girlfriend are looking at moving to sosua and could do with a job.if you send me your email address i can send you my resume to look at.
kind regards jason

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Los Cerros in Sousa..

Wonder what part of the world sousa is in. I would love to go there on vacation lol

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Charles, it will not be easy to find in a blink a couple to move into your house unless you are willing to trust them in an instant. I wouldn't and that is not negative meant, just harsh reality, wouldn't do it anywhere in the world for that matter.
On the other hand, local couples who may be available, if there are out there, are also not so keen to just move in with a total stranger because they have a good reputation to hold up and rightfully they hesitate if you have yourself no references to give about yourself and your family.

I suggest you start with having a cleaning lady for a couple of day's in the week and a gardner who comes a couple of times per week. That gives you time to assess yourself these people and see how they work and gives local people the time to get to know you and spread the word that you are looking for a full time couple to live in.

Just a suggestion.

Acira

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well we do get excited over "the Dominican" so we might as well get 'tighty whities' over Sousa versus Sos?a....one was a musician and the other is a town on the North Coast of the Dominican....hehehe.....Republic.

Charles, I sent you a PM regarding your request.

HB

Papa Smurf

Jul 17, 2011
Is a maid required for expats who buy apartments or homes in DR? Because that seems like an unnecessary expense.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Is a maid required for expats who buy apartments or homes in DR? Because that seems like an unnecessary expense.

No on your first question and depends how you look at it for the need of a cleaning lady. I cannot clean like a Dominican cleaning lady, I do not know the countless little tricks they know how to keep a house in the tropics clean and bugfree, so for me its not an unnecessary expense.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

I rented and had a maid/nanny, after 2 bad ones I finally hit the jackpot. I now consider her my family and since I have
moved back to the states we talk often. She was worth double her weight in gold. For me, she was necessary.

SHALENA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Our day woman was the person who cleaned the casa for the builder - to get it ready to live in and for our arrival.
She's still there , 3 years later.... 3 days a week, whether we are in residence or not.
They need the money... you can't cut back when you leave.

Our gardener came from the crew who did the planting on the property.
We have had 1 a year... they move on to better or easier jobs.
5 days a week... full time.

The night watchman was hired by the house manager who knows the local residents.
All 7 nights, but he's not alone. You'll need a dog or two... more effective than the human.

We live in a 'non-tourist' area and have little trouble finding willing and able people.
Sosua ( Sosewer as it can be known) might be more complicated.
Acira's advice is valid. Try a few out slowly and be careful.

Depending on your skills, you might consider a manager to hire/fire, replace, get substitutes for illness, pay checks and bills.... etc.
If after a while, you feel you can take it on yourself..... do so.

All of this advice depends on your circumstances...
You mentioned buying "a casa"... does it have property?
Is it gated?
How much time will you spend there?
How many people will you need?

We've all done it.... not rocket science, but I venture that no two of us have done it the same way !!!

Good Luck !!

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Dude,

Relax, no need to be an AY HOLE over a typo.

That aint a typo, i think its sheer ignorance. How he type sousa in the title and body text? I'm just trying to help. Such mistakes will actually cost him alot in the island. I'm just saying!!

Charles Carpenter

Aug 1, 2011
William,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Yes, this is a house with a walled lot and a large swimming pool. I am having the entire first floor refurbished into a nice three room apartment for our help. Any advice you are able to supply will be appreciated. We are getting the home in Sosua after spending years in and out of Haiti while still living in Portland, Maine. In addition to my Internet business in Maine, I run a foundation building playgrounds for children in Haiti and Afghanistan (ICEP). We expect to be in DR a few times a year for a couple of months at a time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We spend 5-6 months in Cabrera.... Jan thru April always and 2-3 week visits at various other times..

Think about dogs.... there some available in Sosua now... German Shepherds for 5000 DRP, they even have white ones.
The flyer is posted at Dr Bob's and Playero in Sosua

Sosua has a big residential component... there must be good staff to be found.... a local manager would help getting you started on the right foot.
Character is key but after Haiti, you may find this easy !! :))

There are many people here on DR1 who can be of help.... local Sosua residents who often seek replacement employment for their people after selling their casa.... they post here.

Let me know if I can help further..... I'll watch for your progress !!

WW

Charles Carpenter

Aug 1, 2011
William,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I think Haiti is has been a good training ground for us, but I have also spent years in Somalia, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Liberia. So, we will avoid serious mistakes. I am going to get a dog and was told that there is a Veterinarian and animal shelter of some sort near Sosua. Is that the "Dr. Bob's" you mention. I have already made contact with several possible sources for our live-in requirements. Let's stay in touch. My email is charles-carpenter@historicmapworks.com. I plan to be back in DR towards the end of August to check on construction progress and hopefully hire an employee(s), as well as the usual ie. residency, services, transportation, banking etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am continuing my inquiries and hope to meet up with you at the end of the month, for interviews.

So far I have not found out if the candidate wants to go North...but I will remain in contact.

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
William,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I think Haiti is has been a good training ground for us, but I have also spent years in Somalia, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Liberia. So, we will avoid serious mistakes. I am going to get a dog and was told that there is a Veterinarian and animal shelter of some sort near Sosua. Is that the "Dr. Bob's" you mention. I have already made contact with several possible sources for our live-in requirements. Let's stay in touch. My email is charles-carpenter@historicmapworks.com. I plan to be back in DR towards the end of August to check on construction progress and hopefully hire an employee(s), as well as the usual ie. residency, services, transportation, banking etc.

I have been thinking about your situation....... most likely, you should be teaching a course on your own question.
The countries you visit are like a 'jungle gym' compared to our little 'sandbox' and teeter-totter her in RD.... much more complicated.

I have a very good accountant and lawyer... the lawyer part is easy... Guzman, Ariza.... but I like to separate 'Church' and 'State' so I don't mix lawyering and accounting...... never the twain shall meet :))

Freight... Hispanola Freight..... www.hispanolafreight.com

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
My father is coming in september to DR and he is a great maintenance guy, he can do everything from building a house to small repairs plus he is reliable honest person. If you will need workers pls let me know. He also can live in your house and take care of it, a garden and a dog.