Seeking doctor/midwife for natural birth in DR

anneca77

Aug 10, 2011
Hi,

I'm new to the site and really appreciate the wealth of information here....what a great site :)

I am an American woman moving to Santiago (not far from the monumento) soon with my husband (Dominican-American) and we will be staying with his mom (Dominican). I just found out I am pregnant and I am trying to get some leads on physicians in the area who would support natural childbirth. My ideal birth would be a home-birth attended by a midwife but from my understanding there are no certified midwives in DR. My MIL said it's possible to find a physician to attend a home-birth but she doesn't know anyone in particular. I would really prefer not to give birth in a hospital setting, but if I must I would like to at least have a physician committed to natural childbirth. This is especially important to me because my Spanish language skills are very basic at best (hoping to improve though) and I don't want to find myself being coerced into an unnecessary c-section in the middle of labor.

If anyone out there has any leads on OB/GYN or midwife in Santiago who supports natural birth or can share firsthand birth info/experiences I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
A77

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
There are excellent GYNs in Santiago, and many speak English, so Don?t worry too much about poor language skills. I found that when I was pregnant the more firm I was about what I wanted, the more likely the doctro was to support me. When you?re wishy'washy, they push for the Csection. I ended up with two emergency c'sections but overall, my GYN was willing to support a natural childbirth. You won?t find a midwife, but there is a doula floating around the missionary circuit, I will try to find out her info for you
and Shalena is great, but she won?t be able to help you find a dr. here becasue she never gave brith, but she is a OBGYN nurse and can help you with that type of information

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am bumping this just to give a little information. I have exchanged PMs with Anneca77 and she has a good plan. This is a plan I would give to expats who live in the DR and want a natural birth or Midwife but so not have that option due to DR constraints.
I have 4 children, only one was natural and delivered by a Midwife. But here is my advice......
The later that you check into the hospital, the more likely it is that they will not give you pain medication. If you get to a hospital at 8-9 centimeters dilated and refuse an Epidural, they should NOT offer you IV pain meds that close to delivery. If your doctor does, immediately ask for another doctor....he/she is not thinking of your child's safety. Even medical students know that IV pain mess given with an imminent delivery (<2hrs) may mean (more likely than not) respiratory depression in your baby. This means your baby will come out limp, with very little to no muscle tone, and will make little to no effort to breathe on its own. This will cause the need for interventions by a Neonatologist and possible intubation of your baby until he/she can breathe on its own. Again, if you are very close to delivery, 8-9 centimeters and you feel pressure in your bottom and your doctor offers you IV pain meds, dismiss them.
If you can find a doula or Midwife in DR (there aren't any Midwives until I get there!), let your doctor know that you plan to go to the hospital as late ad possible to increase your chance of laboring naturally. The doula or Midwife can labor with you until you decide to go to the hospital. The problem with a doula is that they can't (shouldn't) be checking you whereas a Midwife can. A midwife can tell you when you are 8 or 9 centimeters and can go to the hospital. A Midwife is also trained to know if and when something is wrong and its best to go to the hospital, also we all know that Midwives can deliver babies so in case you have a precipitous (very fast!) labor and delivery they can deliver you in the case that you are unable to get to the hospital in time. NO MIDWIFE IN DR SHOULD BE PLANNING HOME BIRTHS WITH YOU, MIDWIVES ARE NOT YET RECOGNIZED IN THE DR.
Right now, there aren't any anyway but in the future, someone like myself (or a doula) could labor you in the comfort of your home until the last moment and then accompany you to the hospital where the doctor can "catch" your baby. That way you are not in an uncomfortable labor bed for hours or being coerced into pain medication when your pain is at its worse. Just my 2 cents.....

SHALENA

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is an old thread about this stuff ("stuff" 'cause I am a male and do not know from nuttin' about this).
Go do a bit of a search. It seems there is a woman who teaches natural childbirth here in Santiago. And I would imagine that between you all and Shalena, things will work out for the best.

Good luck and congratulations...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I checked and could not find it. :(

However, if you click Lamaze you will get some info, and I am sure, really sure that if you go to one of the Ob/Byns at Corominas and ask about this woman, you will get information on her. I seem to remember that she taught her classes on Cuba St., near Corominas...

One of the threads that came up was 8 years old...

HB

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Right now, there aren't any anyway but in the future, someone like myself (or a doula) could labor you in the comfort of your home until the last moment and then accompany you to the hospital where the doctor can "catch" your baby. That way you are not in an uncomfortable labor bed for hours or being coerced into pain medication when your pain is at its worse. Just my 2 cents.....

SHALENA

Interesting ! For my second child, I stayed home because I didn't want to stare at blank walls for hours in a labor bed. By the time, I got to the hospital, I was fully dilated (the nurses and staff couldn't believe it; one even asked me if I was in the military :)). I had my daughter within about an hour and half after I got to the hospital. I was NOT asked if I wanted an epidural, but I thought it was because they thought I could go without it since I had labored home.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Interesting ! For my second child, I stayed home because I didn't want to stare at blank walls for hours in a labor bed. By the time, I got to the hospital, I was fully dilated (the nurses and staff couldn't believe it; one even asked me if I was in the military :)). I had my daughter within about an hour and half after I got to the hospital. I was NOT asked if I wanted an epidural, but I thought it was because they thought I could go without it since I had labored home.

When my first wife was pregant with my oldest son her water broke so I phoned the hospital to let them know we were on our way. The nurse asked how far apart the contractions were, then told us to take out time, shower, have coffee...etc. By the time we got our stuff together and drove the 15 miles to the hospital my wife was at 6 cm and when they asked her if she wanted an epidural she replied " Nope, I want to feel every bit of this " . I wish she would have taken it. She ripped half the hair out of my chest, partial dislocated my should, and called me every name in the book. When I told her to calm down, she told to shut the f-ck up, ...etc. Hour later our son was born.
The second kid wasn't as easy but she still wouldn't take any pain meds. Shalena I wish you the greastest sucess in becoming a mid-wife. My grandfather delivered my mother and all her siblings himself. He was a farmer and didn't trust hospitals.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

Actually, you can get an epidural even while the baby's head is sitting in your vagina. If you can sit still to.get it, you can get it. I have had done patients go natural all the way until they felt that head and then refuse to push and demand an epidural. It is IV meds that cause the most damage very close to delivery, although the epidural has its cons also.....

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I checked and could not find it. :(

However, if you click Lamaze you will get some info, and I am sure, really sure that if you go to one of the Ob/Byns at Corominas and ask about this woman, you will get information on her. I seem to remember that she taught her classes on Cuba St., near Corominas...

One of the threads that came up was 8 years old...

HB

I would love to meet this lady, let me know what you find out or I will try to find her when I an there in November

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
When my first wife was pregant with my oldest son her water broke so I phoned the hospital to let them know we were on our way. The nurse asked how far apart the contractions were, then told us to take out time, shower, have coffee...etc. By the time we got our stuff together and drove the 15 miles to the hospital my wife was at 6 cm and when they asked her if she wanted an epidural she replied " Nope, I want to feel every bit of this " . I wish she would have taken it. She ripped half the hair out of my chest, partial dislocated my should, and called me every name in the book. When I told her to calm down, she told to shut the f-ck up, ...etc. Hour later our son was born.
The second kid wasn't as easy but she still wouldn't take any pain meds. Shalena I wish you the greastest sucess in becoming a mid-wife. My grandfather delivered my mother and all her siblings himself. He was a farmer and didn't trust hospitals.

Thank you so much Bob. I am learning so much, I have tons of experience on the hospital side but am learning actually Midwifery without all of the technology or the mess.....delivered a baby Friday with a 1st year resident. When she was done it was like Jason vs. Freddy Kreuger in that room. Midwives (experienced ones) can deliver most babies with minimal blood loss and usually minimal to no tears. Can't wait to learn all the tricks!!!

SHALENA

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Actually, you can get an epidural even while the baby's head is sitting in your vagina. If you can sit still to.get it, you can get it. I have had done patients go natural all the way until they felt that head and then refuse to push and demand an epidural. It is IV meds that cause the most damage very close to delivery, although the epidural has its cons also.....

SHALENA

No wonder my nurse told me I was her dream patient, lol. I could never be a nurse and I respect the patience they have.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
@Shalena, I definitely wanna meet you when you're back in the DR, too! :D I've never looked into midwifery with my first (and only thus far) little one, but we're hoping to try for another baby soonish (isn't half the fun just getting there, though :p ) and I'm already looking into birthing options in the DR. I'll be in touch soon, and I second, third, fourth and so on....congrats on taking that next step!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
That would be great Lolitula! We are opening our birth center hopefully in Fall/Winter of 2012 in Santiago. We hope to be a flagship center so that other Midwives will come and open Birth Centers in other areas of the country. There is interest, they are waiting for us....we will be the guinea pigs LOL.
We will have family centered birth (family allowed!) in a home like setting with experienced Midwives and Midwife students. Our greatest advertising will be word of mouth. I am sure that if you experience 1 birth with us you will cone again and again.
I must tell you, if you have followed me on this site, I am a very controversial person. Rough a lot of times! Don't let that scare you....I am excellent ay what I do and all of the compassion that I lack on this site I bestow upon my patients. I have plenty of references.

Our Birth Center will be beautiful, comfortable, and medically capable. I guarantee you will love it. Once we are up and running, I will put an advertisement here on the site with photos.
Imagine laboring in a beautiful room, being able to eat and drink, having one on one care with a Midwife....with your esposo, suegra, mother, or whoever you may want at your side!
Can you tell how excited I am! Let's check out the infant and maternal mortality rate in Santiago 5 years after our Birth Center opens!

Thanks, as things get nearer I'll have more details, you will surely be invited to open house!
Thank you for your support!

SHALENA

mandymeme

May 28, 2011
A birth center would be great in the DR, i am a IBCLC, and birthed a baby at home and in a birth center, i much prefer a home birth...however a birth center is wonderful too. Cant wait to hear more about it. Do you have a website or a opening date? IT would be great to spread the word.

jays

Feb 13, 2011
Would some of the midwives/doulas be willing to travel to do a homebirth? Are you guys familiar with lotus births?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
We have been told that there is a law in the Dominican Republic that prohibits anyone without an active medical license to birth babies. We did not know that as Dr. Guzman was asked that on this site and we were told that there was not. I am working with the National Director of the Ministerio de Salud now to see what we can do to get this law changed as the country wants Midwives and have even been considering starting a Midwifery school in the Capital. The Director asked meto be part of the group that is now working on this in the Capital along with the PanAmerican Health Organization. I see hope but I think that it will be a slow process, knowing the pace of things in the Dominican Republic. I will be speaking with them this week to see what the next “strategy” is, hopefully I can keep this on the front burner and not have it pushed back only to resurface many years later. Believe me, I am on it…..

:)
SHALENA

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Our greatest advertising will be word of mouth. I am sure that if you experience 1 birth with us you will cone again and again.

SHALENA

Hmmmm... again and again? No thanks, one daughter for me was plenty... lol

Great initiative, fully support this, and sincerely hope you get everything sorted out before the next elections...