Street Food Vendors

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
Being that you need to be careful of food vendors I would like to know if there are any safe? stands in POP that have beef empanadas and pastellas made from ground up yucca. Cause if there is I know where snack time is.
Thanks DMD53

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
There used to be rows and rows of them until they Brick Paved the Malecon. Now there are a few on the side streets just off the Malecon.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Great place for beef and chicken empanadas, kippe, yucca balls, coffee located on Calle Antera Mota. a block or 2 from Casa Nelson. Loaded with kids when school breaks.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Ate a meatball a few years back, between Sosua and POP, was nauseous and dizzy for three weeks.......beware.....

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Just around the corner from Banco Progreso (Central Park) there is a hamburger joint selling fresh refrigerated hamburgers for only RD$ 25 Pesos each. (Best deal in Puerto Plata.) You know their fresh simply by the large volume they do. So get there early to avoid the lineups... cause the place is jumping.
0002037D.gif

Feb 7, 2007
If there are lots of street dogs around "freitura" it means the food is good ... another Dominican lesson learned.

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
Great guys i'll be careful to checkout the places that yas mentioned once I figure out the streets.

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
Ate a meatball a few years back, between Sosua and POP, was nauseous and dizzy for three weeks.......beware.....

augustus mamma mia not for nothing but theres some Italian food I won't eat that did'nt come out of a sauce I made thanks for the heads up.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
A little bit of Brooklyn in the Capital..Nathan,s is going to open up on Winston Churchill where Baskin-Robbins was. and where Omaha Steaks is. Hope they stick with the quality and standards of the Original.

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
A little bit of Brooklyn in the Capital..Nathan,s is going to open up on Winston Churchill where Baskin-Robbins was. and where Omaha Steaks is. Hope they stick with the quality and standards of the Original.

AJL there can be only one "Coney Island" like you said hope the quality/standards are paid attention to.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
There is also a guy with a pushcart about a block behind the bank across from Central Park in POP. He is there in the morning and sells the best fried egg sandwiches. It is a fried egg on a roll, with a slice of avocado, tomato, cabbage , ketchup and mayonaise. About 30 pesos. A little messy to eat, but delicious.

Last edited:

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
DMD53-- I was born and raised in Coney Island. As a kid I sold Good Humor ice cream on the beach, and boiled corn for Nathans in the alley way next to the custard stand. Many happy memories there. I even bring Sabrett onions down with me on my trips to US.

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
AJL I came out of Bensonhurst It's possible I brought icecream off you back then we were always there as a kid we be eating scrambled eggs with onions and peppers on a real loaf or italian bread.Talk of the memories we used to have fun messing with the midgets and trying to sneak into the shows life was good than.Hey how about the chow mein on a bun they had.

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
There is also a guy with a pushcart about a block behind the bank across from Central Park in POP. He is there in the morning and sells the best fried egg sandwiches. It is a fried egg on a roll, with a slice of avocado, tomato, cabbage , ketchup and mayonaise. About 30 pesos. A little messy to eat, but delicious.

When I get there in sept i'm gonna look you up and we are going on a culinary tour LOL.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Yes I remember the chow mein sandwiches, and the BBQ Pork ones, and the fried shrimp on a bun, and a great root beer. I will be in Florida from Sept 16 till Nov 15.