Rules for driving in the DR

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
Came across this and thought i'd share the humor even though some of it might be true. There are rules, but they are not official. They are known, through some mystic process, only to Dominican drivers and foreigners who have been here long enough to learn them. Here they are, listed in no particular order of importance.

#1. Use your horn a lot, for any reason or no reason at all. Blast the guy in front of you for stopping for a red light. In a traffic jam, lean on that horn and add all the racket you can to the general confusion. It won?t help one little bit, but you?ll have the satisfaction of making yourself heard (maybe); something like a child throwing a tantrum.

#2 Always drive at top speed. Patience is a sign of weakness.

#3. If there is a vehicle in front of you, pass it. It doesn?t matter if you have to go around it, over it, under it, or through it; you must get in front of it. Even if you are a guagua driver and you are going to pull over and stop as soon as you have passed the other vehicle.

#4. If you are a male driver, never let a female driver pass you. A real man can?t put up with that kind of nonsense.

#5. Don?t make left turns. The driver behind you will try to pass on your left while you are doing it, because God forbid he should have to slow down or stop while you make your turn. Pull over to the right and wait until the road is clear for five miles in either direction before you turn; OR, get into the wrong lane half a mile before your turn and make your left from there.

#6. If the driver ahead of you is making a left turn, ram him.

#7. If you are coming out of a driveway or sidestreet, and the only vehicle coming is a motorbike, pull out in front of him. In a collision between a car and a motorbike, the motorbike is going to lose, so obviously it?s up to him to stop.

#8. Ignore traffic lights. They?re only there to impress the tourists.

#9. If you are in a traffic jam, and you see an open lane which might possibly be used to unsnarl the mess, block it as quickly as possible. And don?t forget that horn.

#10. If the vehicle in front of you is passing a vehicle in front of him, pass them both so that you have three vehicles side by side in a line across the highway, going in the same direction. If you?re a publico driver, this is a great way to scare the hell out of any tourists in your car.

#11. When driving at night keep your highbeams on all the time. If drivers of oncoming cars find them too bright, well, that?s what sunglasses are for.

#12. Seatbelts are silly gringo decorations.

#13. If you see that the car you are overtaking is being driven by someone you know, stay alongside him for a few miles so you can have a chat.

#14. Indicator lights are there to warn other drivers of what you intend to do, but since every other driver on the road is an enemy, why should you give them any warnings?

#15. When you park your car, remember that NO PARKING signs do not apply to you personally.

Of course, given the number of motorcycles on the road here, there are some special rules for them, too.

#1. When driving along that stretch of highway which runs through Cabarete, go at your flat out, top speed. It?s your right to endanger yourself and the community; and besides, people love to hear the noise your engine makes when you have the throttle wide open - day or night.

#2. If you see a traffic jam up ahead, just use the sidewalks. If you should run down a pedestrian, it?s his fault for not jumping out of the way quickly enough.

#3. When you park your motorbike, leave it in a place where it will cause the greatest inconvenience; the road, the entrance to a driveway, the doorway of a store, etc.

#4. Hang your helmet on your handlebar so if you have an accident, people will have something to scrape your brains into after they?ve been splattered all over the road.

#5. It is not necessary to repair broken headlights or tail lights. Car drivers should be able to see you in their highbeams, and they generally drive as if you?re not there anyhow.

Oh yes; a driver?s licence is nice, but who really needs one?
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

<table cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="100%" height="1"><tbody><tr><td bgColor="#333333" height="1">
spacer.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I cannot believe these rules.

There is absolutely nothing about drinking at the local colmado until you can't stand up and then getting in the car and driving home. Everyone knows that if you walk home after drinking, you are an idiot for inviting the criminals to steal your car.

And also, those yellow and white lines on the road are for decoration purposes. They have no meaning whatsoever.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
they also forgot that...

drinking and driving is allowed, preferably together, as long as you are willing to share with the police...

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
AMET is sending their officers to Joder school.

They are sporadically handing out bunches of tickets for infractions. They've become clever at positioning groups of officers to roll up drivers blowing red lights with more down the road to try to stop cars who ignore them.

They are starting to sporadically enforce one way restrictions on some neighborhood side dtreets.

There are some people with brains who are chipping away at changing the driving culture

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Actually, I was thinking of purchasing an Alfa-Romeo Scopetta for driving in the DR. It comes equipped with 1 12 Gauge shotgun under each of the 4 fenders, and can be used to clear the road in front of you, or to eliminate someone from tailgating you. It works very well in Sicily. In the late 60"s I was driving from the capitol to san francisco. I got the wits scared out of me by a deisel truck horn, which I found to be mounted on a VW bug. That was an experience. It also used to be that if you had a license from the states, they gave you a DR one without problems. That was before they realized that up north we followed rules.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Another Rule

A buddy once asked, "What does a Gingo do when drinking a large Presidente and he get's pulled over, or stopped at a check?"..............hands the beer to the underage Dominican girl in the back seat.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
#5 for the win! That left turn nonsense really threw me for a loop when I first moved here.

It is a very logical rule here. Let us pass the stupid Gringo on the left, while he is making his turn to the left... and he will buy me a new car

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
It is a very logical rule here. Let us pass the stupid Gringo on the left, while he is making his turn to the left... and he will buy me a new car

Whoa belgiank I'll be resembleing that remark next friday whatta gonna be driving so I can watch out for ya lol.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
New Rule # 1 Survival of the biggest and baddest vehicle. No license needed, just loud horn and strong steel bumper guards.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Here's another one for the motos - When joining a major road, never stop, even if you can't cross the the traffic. Just drive for miles on the wrong side of the road until you can.