Longest Platanos Are In Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The banana grower Diogenes Castillo, for his friends better known as Papo, has again in recent days harvested the longest and thickest plantains of the north coast. According to the proud and shining Papo the plantains not only are the largest of the Sos?a area a, no they are the largest in the entire country! The plantains or platano's, have a length of 65 cm and a thickness of nearly 10 cm! What is the great secret of the banana? According to Papo it's his secret special fertilizer. No, no, he uses no artificial fertilizers or chemicals. He works exclusively with natural products such as compost from leaves, food waste and horse and cow dung. The exact mixture of these substances, that's the big secret. He got the recipe from his grandfather and then further improved it experimentally. But it stays a big secret for us.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My brother is a farmer at heart, if not by profession. For years now he's been composting leaves and food waste, God help you if you throw a banana peel or eggshells in the garbage at his house :laugh: He grows the most amazing vegetables with the composted soil, that stuff is like gold to growers.

Thanks for sharing that article, I'll send it to my brother.

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The Ramirez in Jarabacoa (coffee processors among other businesses) have a joint venture with Fersan that makes organic fertilizer out of compost. It's used by many growers in Jarabacoa and Constanza.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
From today's Sosua News:

The banana grower Diogenes Castillo, for his friends better known as Papo, has again in recent days harvested the longest and thickest plantains of the north coast. According to the proud and shining Papo the plantains not only are the largest of the Sos?a area a, no they are the largest in the entire country! The plantains or platano's, have a length of 65 cm and a thickness of nearly 10 cm! What is the great secret of the banana? According to Papo it's his secret special fertilizer. No, no, he uses no artificial fertilizers or chemicals. He works exclusively with natural products such as compost from leaves, food waste and horse and cow dung. The exact mixture of these substances, that's the big secret. He got the recipe from his grandfather and then further improved it experimentally. But it stays a big secret for us.

Hey ladies!!!!!!!! Uh, I'm tempted to comment, but I better leave this alone............LOL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.