How much does a Will cost?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, About how much should a will for a foreigner with residency cost? The assets are a fully furnished apartment, two cars, certificate of deposit, checking account with five adult children who do not live here but two are dual US DR citizens. Mas o Meno??

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
From my understanding Dominican law governs inheritance and having a written will does not change the law. If you look in past posts there are a lot that discuss your question. Only way to get around Dom law is to put your real estate into a corporation.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A recent post in the legal section seemed to indicate that a will does have some validity. I will check it out for you.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you have a will in your own country you may not need another one here.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
interesting Theme.
I thought that your Dominican Children will anyways get their Portion of Your assests in the DR, independend of any foreign Country made Will that would state different.

Mike

santo1

May 1, 2011
I was told the mother of your children also gets something from the estate; married or not ! i have a will here lodged with my lawyer,now what everyone will get including the goverment taxes i have no idea.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A simple will cost you about $200-250.

Wills in the Dominican Republic are good for: (a) if you don't want to leave everything to your children (you can dispose freely of a portion of your estate), (b) if you want to leave one or several of your children a bigger portion of the estate than to the other children (in effect giving the disposable portion to these "favorites", (c) if you don't want your moveable assets (cash, stocks, bonds, etc.) to be included after your death in your children's community assets, (d) for funeral arrangements, etc.

sdnylz

Aug 16, 2009
My dad recently passed away, no will lots of legal problems I could go on and on. As a result, a friend of mine was looking online if there is the possibility of putting the properties in a trust. It protects all the assets from transfer taxes and creditors in case you have any debt. It's called fideicomiso in DR and is so new not many lawyers know about it.

Another solution will be passing the assets to your kids while you are alive.

Hope it helps.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chris: That means you are either the cheapest lawyer in the Midwest, or the Dominican lawyers are robbing us blind!????

But these things are complicated there.

HB (got nothing to leave anyone so what do I care??)<== I only wish that were true!!