Considering a trip to boca chica

May 17, 2011
I am in need of some advice about boca chica. I have been coming to dominican republic since 2009 and have been a total of 3 times. All times I came to puerto plata on the north coast. I am not impressed with the beaches at all. Playa dorada was very dirty. Costombar was very rocky you couldn't even stand without hurting your foot on rocks. Sousa was ok and I did not get a chance to check out cabreate.

Anyhow I am going to come back sometime next year and I am going to take a girl I met to a resort. She can get to santo domingo and meet up with me and then we are going to go over to boca chica. I need to know how the beaches are in the boca chica area? Am I going to encounte the same problems I did in puerto plata?

Also since I will make a reservation for 2 people at whatever hotel I choose will there be any issues with this girl staying with me? I am considering the be live hamaca hotel but could use some other opnions. How far is boca chica from sdq airport by taxi?

Are there things that we can do around the area? This girl likes to dance so i'd like to take her out one night.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I am in need of some advice about boca chica. I have been coming to dominican republic since 2009 and have been a total of 3 times. All times I came to puerto plata on the north coast. I am not impressed with the beaches at all. Playa dorada was very dirty. Costombar was very rocky you couldn't even stand without hurting your foot on rocks. Sousa was ok and I did not get a chance to check out cabreate.

Anyhow I am going to come back sometime next year and I am going to take a girl I met to a resort. She can get to santo domingo and meet up with me and then we are going to go over to boca chica. I need to know how the beaches are in the boca chica area? Am I going to encounte the same problems I did in puerto plata?

Also since I will make a reservation for 2 people at whatever hotel I choose will there be any issues with this girl staying with me? I am considering the be live hamaca hotel but could use some other opnions. How far is boca chica from sdq airport by taxi?

Are there things that we can do around the area? This girl likes to dance so i'd like to take her out one night.

Boca beach is a dump, the water is full of plastic and the sands swarm with flies. Back from the water it is slightly better but I reckon there are issues with the water off that beach for some reason.
The hotel if booked in advance will not be an issue, but you might want to tell her to leave the glass bottom platform shoes at home.
The airport is just up the road.
I expect the girl will know Boca and so will know where to go dancing.

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
i have a house here in Boca Chica since 1985. It is the best beach closest to Santo Domingo. The bottom is sand and about
waist-high deep and because it is sheltered by a natual rock berm it is usually quite calm. The depth of water is easily heated to a nice temperature buy the sun.The Hamaca hotel has it own "private" beach that it maintains. The Don Juan Hotel is also on the beach and maintains a large part of the beach for it's clientel and the public at large. Access to waterfront enjoyment is owned by the Dominican Republic and cannot be restricted for private use despite what some hotels think or try to enforce.
From Boca Chica to Santo Domingo the dancing is unlimited.Boca Chica is a short Taxi drive back and forth. Be safe,be happy and avoid the naysayers.There is a lot of gloom and doom on this board.Find out yourself and make you own evaluation

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
ok hopefully some others can truthfully advise

The anastacios poster is correct. Boca Chica is the last place in the DR I would suggest you go. There are dozens of better ideas. Cabarete is one, Las Terenas, Samana, Bayahibe, La Romana, and so on.
The crime and aggressive vendors and shops and pickpockets is not something I would reccommend to anyone. The liter is there as mentioned. Go somewhere else.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The anastacios poster is correct. Boca Chica is the last place in the DR I would suggest you go. There are dozens of better ideas. Cabarete is one, Las Terenas, Samana, Bayahibe, La Romana, and so on.
The crime and aggressive vendors and shops and pickpockets is not something I would reccommend to anyone. The liter is there as mentioned. Go somewhere else.

What he said, Boca is the last place I would go to to relax, unless of course I was kidnapped there. Cabarete is wonderful, some gorgeous secluded beaches on the way from Cabarete to Samana. You can take a day trip to Rio San Juan. You can rent a wonderful apartment in Cabarete and enjoy the many beachside cafes/bars instead of being locked in an AI prison, and it will cost less.

Tortuguita5

May 31, 2011
I completely disagree with several of these comments, I loved Boca and I'm going back in January. Fine it's certainly not high brow but it is a great beach get away. I'm a 30ish female from Chicago and went with 3 other girls, we had a blast. The beaches were wonderful and the people were fantastic. We went super cheap and stayed at Dominican Bay. Don Juan is supposed to be the nicest, but we needed to go cheap. Dominican Bay was definitely not a luxury stay, but very clean and safe, nice beach and grounds. Everyone who works there is friendly and accommodating. The rooms are totally outdated and musty and the food is so-so but it's definitely worth more than the price!

Wish I could tell you the best place to go dancing because I am looking to find out myself as we really did our dancing at the resort (all of the resorts have "discos" but I would love to go local). If you go you HAVE to eat dinner at Boca Marina. It is so beautiful and romantic on the ocean and the food is amazing. You will not be disappointed. We called it Heaven.

Tortuguita5

May 31, 2011
FGUnsworth1- Sounds like you know Boca well. Is Tuca Tuca still there? Where would you recommend to dance IN Boca? We stay in SD for part of the trip so I know where to dance there, but still haven't figured out where to go in the town (mind you we're girls, not looking for girls :) ).

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
please do not pay attention to above person ( he is still trying to get from the silver level to gold)

FFS mann, change the frinikin record, what is this silver to gold level, you sound like a moron even considering people do that sh1t. Try a search on Boca chica then come back and tell me I am wrong. People have complained about dodgy water there for years, rashes, beach fly infestations, rip off restaurants and bars, the streets are second to none as far as un earthquaked fkucp zones go, I expect central Haiti disaster areas are in better condition.
To each his own as they say!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

Seriously DO NOT waste your time and money in Boca Chica. If you really want to impress this girl pick her up in SD and take her to Las Terrenas, on the Samana Peninsula. There you will find the palm lined beautiful beaches with blue/green water. It is now under 2hrs from Santo Domingo to LT. There are a number of places you can stay depending on your budget, but for the location and amenities I would either book at Hotel Aleise or Hotel Colibri on Playa Las Ballenas. In this area you can horse back ride, go to Limon Falls, book a quad tour, dance at La Bogega or Gaia Discos or just chill at the beach. Your welcome.

S

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Do not waste your time and money?

LT Steve - would that be a clue?

I lived in Boca Chica for a couple of years and had absolutely no bother at all.
It is not the horror story it is made out to be by all the ex-pats trying to push their business in other parts of the country.
Not my first choice for a holiday, perhaps, but you will be fine in this well trodden tourist town.
Just avoid drugs and people who are involved in them and you will be fine.

People on this board love to tell you how terrible other places are and how wonderful their place is.

Just be aware of peoples' motives when giving advice.

As for 2 hours to Las Terrenas - that is a little optimistic in my view.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
I understand you are going south this time, but next time you go to the DR, you need to see Cabarete. That beach is just beautiful. If I don't get there at least once a year, I go through withdrawl.

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
can't seem to figure out how to answer private messages yet. the MLB camps are a couple miles out of Boca. no set schedule for games or practices, some of the coaches frequent the Boat House. a local field right behind the Dominican Bay on the next street over. not a dancer myself but plenty of places along Duarte and the new one previously mentioned here.

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
don't know why some don't like this city. i live here and love it. i go to the beach most every day and go in the water, the water is clean. the beach is pretty clean most of the time, sundays maybe no. i make it a habit most days to clean a section of beach from any glass or metal objects, some days have a hard time finding much stuff to pick up.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Boca Chica really sucks. The beach is dirty and it has nothing else. You really missed it. Cabarete is a great beach with nothing else. Sosua has night life and between the two towns there is a ton of things to do especially if you are a bit athletic, Puerto Plata has died as far as tourist attractions go. Only thing left of interest is the cable car up Mt. Isabel. You might like it as its imported from Italy.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The OP indicates a desire for the following three agenda items:

1. Meet up with his favorita in the Capital

2. Enjoy an AI beach experience with his favorita

3. Enjoy nightlife and dancing/ dining with his favorita

These are all very reasonable goals and I think that meeting her in Santo Domingo is a capital idea. I'm assuming that he met her on the North Coast since that's where his Dominican travels have been limited to and that both he and she wish to spend time in less well trodden areas of the Country. This is understandable.

Santo Domingo has more places to go and things to do than the entire North Coast and they can dance the nights away to their hearts' content there. As for their beach adventures, I would argue that for what you get in Boca Chica after a few $45 (each way) taxi rides to the beach from the Capital or maybe an overpriced and undervalued stay at the "Be Live Hamaca", of which I've never heard anything but complaints that the rational mind would anchor the pair in Santo Domingo and plan a short side trip to Punta Cana by domestic air. The resorts are better and cheaper than Boca Chica's "Hamaca", the beaches are far more beautiful and far less cluttered with debris and vendor/beggars and the couple hundred dollars spent on airfares is worth more in enhanced vacation memories than in his pocket.

I can tell you from experience that a 35 minute plane ride to a real World class vacation destination with a jacuzzi suite and flawless white sand beaches at the end of the rainbow will give his favorita all the comfort and reassurance that she needs to understand that she's with someone who thinks that she is very special. I am sure that she will work very hard to maintain her status. If not, upon return to Santo Domingo put her back on the North Coast Express, find another recruit, wash, rinse, repeat.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Do not waste your time and money?

LT Steve - would that be a clue?

I lived in Boca Chica for a couple of years and had absolutely no bother at all.
It is not the horror story it is made out to be by all the ex-pats trying to push their business in other parts of the country.
Not my first choice for a holiday, perhaps, but you will be fine in this well trodden tourist town.
Just avoid drugs and people who are involved in them and you will be fine.

People on this board love to tell you how terrible other places are and how wonderful their place is.

Just be aware of peoples' motives when giving advice.

As for 2 hours to Las Terrenas - that is a little optimistic in my view.

HI
Let me put it another way. Boca Chica is for whose & bros. I would not take someone of the opposite sex to this overpriced , rip off of a town even if I was given a free nights lodging. Oh, and by the way I am not affiliated with any hotel or establishment in LT. I am simply expressing my opinions and I'm not asking you to agree with me.

S