Dreadlocks, locks, twists, "Rasta"

Mike_1233

Jun 29, 2011
Does anyone here know where I can find a place that does dreadlocks or comb twist here in Santo Domingo? I've found a thread from 2002 with a guy asking the same question and he was flooded with a bunch of post about how people feel about locks and how it would be viewed here in Santo Domingo. Not really interested in all of that please! Just need to find a place who can do a neat and professional job! Thanks!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If you go to the colmado opposite Hotel Hispanola at the ocean end of Lincoln, directly upstairs is a big barbers shop, if you ask for chino in there he will give his cousin a call who handles all longer Afro/Caribbean hairstyles really reasonably. I presume he is still there but possibly not as I haven't been there for almost a year now.
I only asked about skin colour as I doubt he would do it if a white guy wanted locking up.

Mike_1233

Jun 29, 2011
If you go to the colmado opposite Hotel Hispanola at the ocean end of Lincoln, directly upstairs is a big barbers shop, if you ask for chino in there he will give his cousin a call who handles all longer Afro/Caribbean hairstyles really reasonably. I presume he is still there but possibly not as I haven't been there for almost a year now.
I only asked about skin colour as I doubt he would do it if a white guy wanted locking up.

Ok thanks. Does his cousin also do the shorter styled starter twist? ex. Google Images

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
On ( El conde ) There is a salon that specializes in just that. 2 blocks up from PACOS resturant, its a (corner) shop hard to miss.
Good work everyone in there has locks.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Does anyone here know where I can find a place that does dreadlocks or comb twist here in Santo Domingo? I've found a thread from 2002 with a guy asking the same question and he was flooded with a bunch of post about how people feel about locks and how it would be viewed here in Santo Domingo. Not really interested in all of that please! Just need to find a place who can do a neat and professional job! Thanks!

I take it you are planning to start from scratch with short hair (less than 3" growth). I don't know how much research you've put into this but there's a lot for you to consider. I started the locking process in November of 2002 and I had a good 5"-6" 'fro going on in preparation. This was necessary for me because my hair was already mostly grey and hrey hair has a mind of its own. My journey to loc'd had a few false starts and learning experiences and it took 18 months to achieve a total locked head of hair. You must be patient.

Let me share a few findings with you. First, never let anyone put beeswax in your hair, ever. Most locticians prefer loc butter (Loc'n'Twist, Mango and Lime, etc) and that's fine for continuing care but if you want to get the process junp started and especially if you have shorter hair use raw aloe vera on your initial twists and wash it out after 28 days. This is a method widely practiced in the BWI and it works.

I have had my locs retwisted and touched up in Santo Domingo and I will say for the record that even hairdressers who were not familiar with the process when we began caught up very quickly. Dominican hairdressers aren't putting everybody else out of business for nothing. These Women understand all grades of hair probably because they work with all different grades of hair every day. You could probably walk into most of the salons in Santo Domingo and get a decent wash & twist but it will take someone who is familiar with the entire process to get you started off correctly so I would suggest that you go with Anastacio's suggestion. Many of these practicioners have pretty good networks and for something they're not really comfortable with they'd probably be able to give you a very good referral. Then there's always the 'go ask somebody with the loc's that you want' approach. It's a word of mouth business and hair dressers change business addresses and affiliations often.

If push comes to shove, go to BC, find a Haitian braiding hair and show her the video

How to Start Twist/ Retwist Locks - YouTube

She'll probably get it right the first time and you won't be charged salon fees.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Grey, how long are you dreads now (i.e nearly 10 years later) ? I am guessing down your back.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah. After year #3 they just started growing like crazy. I've probably cut 8" - 10" off in the past couple years but still unless I tie them up I have to sweep the dreads out of the way when I fasten my belt or a couple might gat caught. It's probably time for another trim. Human hair grows 6" a year on average, especially if you're not ripping away at it with combs and brushes.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Nice !

You must be an interesting site in the DR.

I had a boyfriend with long dreads when I was younger, it was so annoying sometimes as everyone in need of a light, rolling paper, bob Marley/reggae lover would come and talk to him. He was a musician and pretty extroverted, but it was interesting how people automatically assumed he was so cool, lol. :)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Question: once you've got your hair in Dreads, how do you wash it, and after you wash it, do you have to redo?

I like to wash my hair weekly unless I go swimming and then it's every time I get back from the pool or beach. There's different ways of tying dreads to keep them from going crazy in between settings and I always sleep with a wrap. Out of all the shampoo/ conditioning products I've tried Dominican made "Miel y Leche" is the best for my hair by far and it's a good thing it's inexpensive because I use a lot of it. LOL

I retwist (palm roll with light loc butter) every 2-3 weeks or so and every other Month I see my loctician who uses a 'latch hook' for a tight touch up. Keeps my crazy grey hair from going wild.

Tighten Locs w/ a Latch Hook - YouTube

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Nice !

You must be an interesting site in the DR.

I had a boyfriend with long dreads when I was younger, it was so annoying sometimes as everyone in need of a light, rolling paper, bob Marley/reggae lover would come and talk to him. He was a musician and pretty extroverted, but it was interesting how people automatically assumed he was so cool, lol. :)

Yeah. The look on people's face when they try to pass and you tell them with a straight face "I don't do that" is priceless. Some people look at your hair and love you. Some look at your hair and hate you. It's just hair. That's the lesson that comes with this journey.

Mike_1233

Jun 29, 2011
I take it you are planning to start from scratch with short hair (less than 3" growth). I don't know how much research you've put into this but there's a lot for you to consider. I started the locking process in November of 2002 and I had a good 5"-6" 'fro going on in preparation. This was necessary for me because my hair was already mostly grey and hrey hair has a mind of its own. My journey to loc'd had a few false starts and learning experiences and it took 18 months to achieve a total locked head of hair. You must be patient.

Let me share a few findings with you. First, never let anyone put beeswax in your hair, ever. Most locticians prefer loc butter (Loc'n'Twist, Mango and Lime, etc) and that's fine for continuing care but if you want to get the process junp started and especially if you have shorter hair use raw aloe vera on your initial twists and wash it out after 28 days. This is a method widely practiced in the BWI and it works.

I have had my locs retwisted and touched up in Santo Domingo and I will say for the record that even hairdressers who were not familiar with the process when we began caught up very quickly. Dominican hairdressers aren't putting everybody else out of business for nothing. These Women understand all grades of hair probably because they work with all different grades of hair every day. You could probably walk into most of the salons in Santo Domingo and get a decent wash & twist but it will take someone who is familiar with the entire process to get you started off correctly so I would suggest that you go with Anastacio's suggestion. Many of these practicioners have pretty good networks and for something they're not really comfortable with they'd probably be able to give you a very good referral. Then there's always the 'go ask somebody with the loc's that you want' approach. It's a word of mouth business and hair dressers change business addresses and affiliations often.

If push comes to shove, go to BC, find a Haitian braiding hair and show her the video

How to Start Twist/ Retwist Locks - YouTube

She'll probably get it right the first time and you won't be charged salon fees.

Thanks for the info! I will be starting from scratch with right at 2in. of hair, but it will not be my first time with locks. Had around 9in. or so locks a couple of years back before I cut them. I do like the mango and lime. Good stuff.